Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

We’re just standing there, in silence, staring at each other completely unsure of where this leaves us. Then, he gets a determined expression on his face and slowly leans toward me again. Before he can fully close the gap, we hear the shrill ring of a phone. Startled, we look away from each other and he moves over to his bag to get his phone.

He quickly answers his phone after looking at the screen to see who it is.

“Emma?” He asks worriedly, “What happened?”

I hear Emma’s voice through the phone, but can’t make out what she’s saying. Before Tristan can ask her anything else, there’s a new voice on the other line. This one’s deeper and louder than the one before. From what I can hear of this new voice, the person is angry and wants Tristan to go home.

I look down at the ground in disappointment. I don’t want him to leave yet.

After a few more minutes of talking on the phone, Tristan hangs up and turns to me.

“I’m sorry, but I really have to go now.” He says, quickly. His face is calm but his eyes are full of panic and fear.

Confused by the look in his eyes it takes me a few minutes to register that he’s talking to me. “Oh, yeah. Okay, I’ll walk you down.”

After he gathers all of his stuff, we walk out of my room and down the stairs in silence. We get to the front door and I open it, he takes a step out the door but then turns back to me. The panic and fear I saw in his eyes a few minutes ago is gone, replaced with some other emotion that I can’t identify.

He slowly leans closer to me and presses his lips to mine again in a short sweet kiss that leaves me slightly dazed. He pulls away and gives me a small smile, his eyes looking a little glazed over, and says, “Bye Mikayla, I’ll see you tomorrow.”

Coming out of my daze I smile back at him. I nod in agreement and say, “See ya.”

I close the door behind him with a stupid grin on my face and turn to go back up the stairs. As soon as I turn around I stop in my tracks right in front of Jason and Ben.

They simultaneously cross their arms over their chests and look at me, “What the heck was that?” Jason asks.

“What was what?”

“That.” He says gesturing to the closed door.

“That’s a door.”

He looks at me, annoyed, like I’m the biggest idiot in the world. “Don’t play dumb. You just kissed Tristan.”

“So?” I ask calmly, tilting my head to the side in an innocent manner, just to piss him off.

He looks like his eyes are about to pop out of his head in annoyance and I bit my lip holding back a laugh. I don’t think anyone can really kill my happiness right now.

“So? What do you mean ‘so’?” He asks angrily.

“Jason calm down it was just a kiss.”

“Calm down?”

“Yes, calm down. You always over react about everything.”

“Over react?”

“Okay, now you’re just being stupid.”

“Being stupid?”

I throw my hands in the air in frustration, “Stop being an idiot.”

“Bein-”

“Stop doing that!” I yell at him, he’s so annoying.

I walk past him before he can say anything else and head back to my room. I hear footsteps behind me so I quickly shut the door but someone catches it and lets himself inside.