Chapter Nine

1,000+ Reads!! THAT’S CRAZY!! I LOOVE YOU ALL MY READERS!!! <3

Chapter Nine

 “What?” I ask, not sure if I heard him correctly.

“I said, will you go out with me?” He says, gray eyes boring into mine, almost like he’s daring me to say no.

“Why?” I ask.

“Why not?” He replies teasingly.

“Danny, I’m serious.”

He shrugs nonchalantly, “I dunno. I like you and we’re friends right?”

“Yeah we’re friends” I say stupidly. Not knowing what else to say.

“So, why shouldn’t we go out?”

“I never thought that you liked me that way.”

“Well, what’s there not to like? You’re hot, fun to be around, and we get along really well.”

“Danny, I’m sorry I jus-”

He sighs audibly, shoulders slouching in defeat. “Hey, it’s ok. I understand.” He says giving me a small reassuring smile. I can’t help but feel guilty about saying no, even though I’m not doing anything wrong, but his question came out of nowhere and caught me off guard.

He takes a step closer to me until we’re only a few inches apart. “Just think about it, okay?” He asks, lifting his hand to brush it against my cheek gently.

I just nod in agreement, a little startled by the sudden contact. He smiles in satisfaction and goes back to work.

The rest of my shift goes by quickly and soon it’s closing time. I usually leave first and let Danny lock up, so I go to the back to say bye trying to get over the awkwardness that I know I’m going to feel now.

“Bye Danny, I’ll see you later.”

“Okay. Bye Mikayla.” He replies with a smile, back to his happy-go-lucky self.

I smile back at him and walk out the building.

On my way to my car I decide to check my phone. I usually leave it on silent while I’m at work.

I look at the screen and see that I have 13 missed calls!

6 missed calls from Ben, 4 missed calls from Jason, and 3 missed calls from Seth. All times ranging from 3:30 till about an hour ago.

I fumble with my phone a little bit to try to call one of them back, but I’m starting to panic. Why did they call me so many times?

Just as I’m about to hit the call button on Jason’s number, Ben’s number pops up on the screen.

“Hello?” I say into the phone.

“Why don’t you answer your phone?!”

“Ben! I was at work. What happened?”

“You need to come home, like right now.” I made it in the car by this time, pulling out onto the road.

“Okay, I’m coming. I just left. What happened?”

“Well it’s not so bad now.”

“What do you mean? Ben, will you just tell me what happened?”

I hear him take a deep breath before he starts talking again. “Okay, so today was my day to pick everyone up right? So after I got Seth and Kim, I went to get Liam and the twins. Well when I got there, only the twins were there standing outside. When I asked them about Liam they said they weren’t sure. So I had to park the car and go look for him, but I couldn’t find him anywhere! That was when I called you the first couple times, but you didn’t answer so I called Jason to see if he got him but he said no so I told him I couldn’t find him and then he showed up a few minutes later. By this time Seth is helping us look for him, but we still can’t find him. We asked the teachers and the administration people but they said that he left. Now we’re really starting to panic because that means he’s not at school anymore, so w-”