TWENTY EIGHT

Sofea

They have been sitting in the waiting room for almost an hour yet their number was still not call. Sofea was getting impatient as she fumbled with her phone. She kept unlocking and locking her phone, looking at the time. She grumbled and sighed and fidgeted in her seat.

Danial who was accompanying her, kept telling her to be patient. He was getting a bit sleepy too waiting for their turn.

They saw a doctor came out of the room number one and Sofea sighed. It means another doctor delaying in attending to patients.

"Can't you ask the nurse why is it soooo slow?" Sofea grunted as she placed her head on Danial's shoulder.

"They are busy, sweetheart. Look at the place. It's packed with people. Be patience."

Sofea sighed again.

Another twenty minutes past by and finally their number was been called.

A nurse led them into room number five and asked Sofea to sit on a chair nearer to the doctor while Danial took a seat in front of the desk.

A male doctor was behind the desk and it made Danial uncomfortable. Before the doctor could say anything, Danial asked, "I thought it was going to be a female doctor?"

The doctor raised his eyebrows and replied, "Well, not all doctors are female."

"I assumed it was going to be a female doctor since this is a Women Clinic."

"I can assure you that I am a qualified doctor and I have been handling pregnancies for three years now," the doctor said calmly as he glanced at the nurse. "Or would you like to change rooms? But you have to wait for your number to be called."

Sofea closed her eyes in frustration. When she opened them, she snapped, "Seriously? Can't you just transfer us over since we have been waiting for an hour. I am hungry and my back hurts so much from sitting in the damn chair. You are not pregnant. I am. And you have no idea what I am feeling at the moment."

Danial stared at Sofea in bewilderment.

"I'm sorry. But you were refered here by the polyclinic which means you are under the subsidised lot. Which means you are not eligible to choose your own doctor. Unless you go directly to a gynae, which you have to pay full amount of consultation and treatments."

"Ok fine. We will do that for our next check up. But for now I want you to transfer her to another room. I am not comfortable with another man touching my wife," Danial fumed as he crossed his arm over his chest.

The doctor sighed and asked the nurse to see to it. They were led by the nurse to another room which another patient just left.

A female doctor was in the room and Sofea sighed in relief.

"Good morning. I'm Doctor Felicity. How are you doing today?"

"Not good," Sofea replied.

"Oh? Why is that so?"

Sofea explained what just happened and the doctor listened attentively.

"Well... what he said is true though. Those who came to this clinic are under subsidised by the government. But I can give you a list of gynaes if you would like to have your preference."

Sofea nodded, "Yes please."

After handing over the list, Sofea was questioned by the doctor about her pregnancy journey so far.

"I had morning sickness but now it gets better. The doctor at the polyclinic has given some medication so I took them when I needed to."

"Ok. I need you to lay down on the bed here while I check your baby. Since your pregnancy is still early, we need to do a vaginal scan."

-----

Danial

As Sofea followed the doctor's instruction behind the closed screen, Danial sat patiently in his chair. He was unsure of what he can do so he waited.

"The father do you want to see your baby?" Doctor Felicity asked behind the screen.

Danial smiled and replied, "Yes."

The nurse beckoned Danial to come over behind the screen. He saw Sofea was laying on the bed while the doctor was beside her. There was a tv screen in front of them and Danial could see a scanned picture of the baby.

The doctor pointed to the screen and pointed to them the baby's head and body. He could also see the baby's heartbeat.

Tears glistened in his eyes as he watch the tv screen. Halfway through he met Sofea's eyes. She too had tears in her eyes and she was smiling so wide at him.

He knew then Sofea felt the same as him.

"The baby's heartbeat looks good, so there are no worries."

After they are done with the check up, Sofea mentioned again that she was hungry. So they made their way to a coffeeshop for their early lunch.

While on their way there, Sofea held Danial's hand and said, "I still can't believe there's a small human being in my tummy! I hope it's a boy."

Danial chuckled, "Nah! I want a girl."

So they argued about what gender should the baby be. And Danial thanked God that Sofea finally accepted their baby.

-----

A/N: another update!!

If you're wondering, I've been in a situation where I had a male doctor but I didn't make a fuss about it because I knew where I stand. I couldn't afford to get a private gynae. But I always asked the nurse to try get me to a female doctor's room. Luckily most nurses understands.

So how do you find this chapter?

Next chapter: matchmaking time!!

Please leave me a comment. Or vote. Thank you.