FIFTEEN

Dear Diary,

It's the first week of Ramadan and I'm struggling to fast. I didn't want to but Mama and Uncle Aidil persuaded me to. Of course I quit halfway on my fourth day which happened to be a Saturday.

The first few days I was able to last. Maybe because when I'm working, I don't feel the hunger pang. During lunch, I took an hour nap or texting Dahlia asking about Danial.

Danial have been religiously going to the mosque every night. So I was unable to get replies from him very often. He usually replies me after 11pm when I'm asleep and in the morning during fajr. Lunch time was his time to catch up on work or naps.

He was always so busy with things. I'm not sure how am I to handle this situation. Life in a relationship is confusing.

Love,

S.H.

----

Danial

After catching up with a few brothers from the mosque, Danial decided to go home. He gave his salam and went off. On the way home, his phone vibrated. He took a peek at the caller and saw his granduncle, Haji Samad's name popped out.

"I'm inviting you and your family over for iftar on next Saturday. Can you come?"

"Insha Allah Atok Samad. I'll inform my parents about it."

After hanging up the phone, Danial saw a message from Sofea.

How I miss your face.

Danial shook out of his daze when he realised he almost walked into a lamppost.

"Astaghfirullah. What's the matter with me? Ya Allah, guide me away from sins."

Her messages always make him smile. He stop in mid-track and read the message.

"My future husband. I hope you had a great day today. Mine was normal. Nothing interesting happen. I was unable to fast again today. I tried but I failed. Will I be able to see you soon? It's kind of frustrating not been able to talk to you. But I understand your situation. Hope to hear from you soon."

He typed a quick reply.

"Assalamualaikum Sofea. I'm on my way home. If you're not asleep yet, I might be able to grant your wish."

Send.

He continued his journey home passing a few neighbours who were on their way home too. An old man who walks with a stick was wobbling his way home.

"Assalamualaikum Haji Firdaus. Looking strong tonight."

"Wa'alaikumussalam dear child. Alhamdulillah I'm still able-bodied to go to the mosque for terawih."

"Alhamdulillah. May Allah blessed with great strength and longevity so you're able to do more good deeds."

"Thank you Danial. How's your father? I saw him just now among the crowd. But unfortunately I wasn't able to meet him. Tonight the place is really crowded."

"Alhamdulillah Abi is well," Danial gave the old man a huge smile as he helped holding Haji Firdaus' arm and walked alongside him. "Yes. Tonight is a good night. I think the reason being the Mufti is the Imam. I think his followers attended the terawih too tonight."

"Tsk-tsk. That shouldn't be the reason why they came to the mosque to pray. Allah should be the reason. Not the Mufti."

"Well yes Haji. You're right. But I believed when a leader has great followers, good knowledge is shared and more people will understand about Islam. We need leaders like the Mufti to make these people's heart open up to go to the mosque. Then Islam will succeed.