Chapter 5: A Nobody

The next week passed quickly enough, meaning that school was on Monday. Snow was not looking forward to it one bit. 

She hated school. That was the place where she was the most invisible, not that it really mattered anymore. She had been invisible for years in school, but then there was the fact that she got bullied a lot. People would make fun of her constantly for her name, and her quiet demeanor didn't really help that. 

After her mother died, she always felt antagonized. All the other kids had both parents, but she only had her dad. Not that her dad was a bad parent, but a little girl needs a mother. There were just too many things that she had to learn by herself. 

Now school was almost like a menace for her. She liked learning new things, but she had so much more on her mind. It had become the place where she hid from bullies in the hall or an extra commitment that she couldn't fulfill. She always did her homework, but with her job it would be tough. She wasn't even sure how much time she would have after class if she wanted to get home and change since school got out at two. 

At least Mrs. J understood, moving back the time she had to be there by an hour so she could get there at four. Apparently Casey, Ryan, and Katie all had school too, so she just wanted to make sure Snow did her best. 

Snow helped Rain pack his school bag the day before, and their dad was feeling a little better so they did it in his room. 

"You kids will be great this year!" their dad said enthusiastically. He was actually sitting up, and despite the bags under his eyes, he looked slightly better. 

Snow wondered if the chemo was working, but then she reminded herself that it would only prolong his life, not save it. 

"Thanks dad," Rain said with a smile. Rain actually looked happy. Snow smiled as well. 

This was how it was supposed to be. 

***

Snow got up the next day at five, feeling groggy. She yawned and went to the bathroom, looking at her messy blonde hair. It was everywhere. 

She sighed, showering quickly and putting on a pair of jeans with a small navy tee shirt. Not exactly the best first day outfit, but the jeans were a step up. Clothing wasn't necessarily a priority. 

Snow cooked breakfast real fast for Rain, coming up with some small pancakes for him to eat on the way to school. Then she woke him up and waited for him to get ready, handing him the pancakes on their way out. 

They said bye to their dad and walked out. Snow was a junior and Rain was in sixth grade. They went to separated schools, but luckily the schools were just right across the street from each other and luckily school wasn't that far of a walk. 

Snow tied up her hair so it hung over her shoulder. Her black shoulder bag hung on her, the notebooks and folders she got the week before all in there. 

They got to the schools and Snow sighed. She was seriously dreading this, but at least Rain could hang out with his friends again. She may've been the school dork, but he at least was pretty popular. 

Snow looked at Rain and gave him a small smile. "I'll see you at three ok Rain?" His school got out an hour later and started an hour later, but he always liked to walk with her in the morning, just like she would wait to walk with him in the afternoon. 

"Sure thing Snow," he said with a smile. "But... you be careful today, ok?"

He knew she got bullied and always got angry when he saw it. He was her little protector. 

She ruffled his hair affectionately. "I'll be fine Rain. You just focus on paying attention today."

With that, she stepped into the school. It was loud with the bustling of students everywhere. Snow immediately shrunk into herself, trying to avoid anyone noticing her. She walked over to the locker that was assigned to her this year, locker number 302.