Chapter 3: A Promise

It was Saturday finally, so it'd been almost a week since Snow had gotten the job at the Johnson's. It was turning out pretty well, or well, they all at least liked her cooking. 

Snow yawned as she woke up, having to go to the Johnson's at ten today and stay a full twelve hours. It was tiring working for them, but it was going pretty well. She was making good money and was able to keep her father and brother alive. She just wished she could spend more time with them, especially because time was running out. 

It was strange being at their house so early, especially since it didn't appear that anyone had woken up. Snow rang the doorbell a few times, but no one came, so she kind of stood at the door a bit awkwardly. 

She was about to find some place to sit when the door opened behind her. 

Ryan blinked a few times in the sunlight and wiped his eyes. His hair was sticking up everywhere and he was wearing a white tee shirt and some plaid pajama bottoms. It was kind of obvious that she had probably woken him up. 

"Uh good morning?" she said with a little smile. 

He smiled back tiredly, moving aside to let her in. Snow stepped in and said, "Sorry for waking you up Ryan. I uh thought someone would be here to let me in."

Ryan chuckled. "It's fine Snow. I probably should be awake anyway."

Snow looked around. It was completely quiet. "I'll make some breakfast then." 

She went into the kitchen and got out pans, bacon, eggs, sausages, and bread. She lost track of time as she cooked, not realizing that Ryan had come back down a little later, his hair fixed up and wearing real clothing. 

Within the hour, she had put out pancakes along with everything else, setting up the counter like a buffet. 

"Eat," said Ryan as he took one of the sausages. 

"It's fine," said Snow with a tired smile. "I usually skip breakfast anyway."

He frowned. "Why? You're so thin..."

She raised an eyebrow as she realized he was staring somewhere at her midsection. She cleared her throat loudly and he looked away nervously. 

"Just a choice," she said quietly. 

It was quiet for a second before Casey walked down the stairs without talking to either of them. She went straight for the pancakes. Her hair was rumpled and she was wearing some short pajama shorts and a tank top. It was rude to say, but she honestly looked like a mess. 

"Morning Casey," said Ryan teasingly. 

"Shut up," was all she said as she sat down at the table. 

Snow immediately looked down, remembering that she shouldn't be friends with Ryan. She wasn't friends with Casey, though Casey might've just been a special case. 

Ryan was looking at her curiously as she did the dishes again. She let her thoughts wander as she walked over to do some cleaning in the living room and the dining room. At some point he went upstairs and she was left alone to do her work. 

The family came down periodically to eat, thanking her for her cooking despite the fact that it was her job. 

At some point during the day, Snow remembered that she was supposed to do the laundry. 

She straightened out her dirty apron and adjusted her white dress shirt. It was one of those long sleeved dress shirts so she had the sleeves up to her elbows. The collar was high on her neck, but at least she wore her light blonde hair up and out of the way.