Chapter 1: A Streak of Luck

Snow yawned as she woke up at five in the morning, rubbing her bleary eyes. It was still dark out, but her days always began early. She dragged herself up out of bed, shivering as the cold air hit her like a punch in the face. 

It was August though, just a few weeks before school started. As she slipped in the shower and washed her pale blonde hair, Snow made a list in her head of everything she had to do today:

- cook for dad and Rain

- fix the leaky faucet it the kitchen

- dishes and laundry

- find a job- ASAP

Snow sighed and got her clothes on, staring at the foggy mirror. She was only seventeen, but she needed to get a job to support her father and her ten year old brother. Without her they wouldn't survive. Her father had gotten increasingly weak over the past few months, the cancer getting worse and the chemotherapy making him sick. Most days he could barely get up by himself now. 

So she had to do all the house chores while making sure her brother and father stayed alive. It wasn't an easy task, but she had gone into the mother role at an early age. 

When her mom died seven years ago, it was like a part of her had died. But she only cried once. She never wanted to show weakness in front of her family. It only made them hurt more. 

So Snow bundled everything up inside, locking away all her pain so no one could find it. The fact that she had so much to do at least put it out of her mind. 

She had to find a job today. Her last one had fired her for showing up late a few times, but she couldn't help it. She had to take her father to chemo and needed to make sure her brother was cared for. At least Rain had a few friends to stay with sometimes. Otherwise he would stay home and watch their father. He may've only been ten, but he was a tough kid. 

Snow sighed, looking at the foggy mirror. She always hoped to see a different person when she wiped the fog away, but it was always the same sorrowful blue eyes staring back at her. Her mother had always told her she was beautiful, but she never believed it. She was too plain to be beautiful. She was too plain to even be noticed. 

She put her hair up in a somewhat nice bun and checked her clothing. She was wearing baggy cargo pants and an olive green tank top. It wasn't the best interview clothing, but if she would be walking around all day to find a job, she needed to dress for it. 

Snow walked into the kitchen and brought out the cereal, leaving a note for Rain if he woke up and she wasn't home. She'd be out for a while, but there were some leftovers in the fridge he could snack on if he needed to. 

Sighing, Snow walked out of her house, going into town to see what was available. She tried the local Walmart, the pharmacy, Macy's, Bed Bath & Beyond, everywhere, but it seemed like no one was hiring. 

Feeling defeated, Snow walked out of her last store and right into a woman, sending them both sprawling on the ground. 

Immediately Snow felt horrible. This woman was dressed expensively in designer jeans and a button up shirt. It was like she wore clothing that wasn't supposed to look expensive, but it was obvious it had cost a good chunk of money. 

"Oh my goodness Ma'am I'm so sorry!" Snow said, helping the woman up. 

She thought the woman would be angry with her for getting dirt on her clothing and sending her, and her shopping bags, to the ground, but this one just said, "Don't worry about it honey it's perfectly fine. Nothing's broken."

The woman looked her in the eyes. The two of them were almost the same height, but this woman was probably in her late forties. 

"Hey hun, do you mind if I ask you what you're doing out walking around today? There's only a few weeks left of summer. Shouldn't a beautiful young girl like you be out enjoying herself?"