Chapter 18 Yup, he's fine

This all seemed too familiar, waiting impatiently staring at a clock that's needle stayed still or just moved too slow. Looking down a hall full of doors with nurses walking here and there to patients rooms. Hearing the joyful laughter and tears of happiness from a birth of a child or the distinctive sobs of family and friends mourning their lose of a loved one. 

I was in the hospital waiting with my mother Daniel and the Wilson's. My phone began to vibrate but I didn't notice because I was in a trance just staring at Kai's room's door. 

Daniel nudged me, "Lily, your phone." He pointed at my coat's pockets.

I pulled it out of the pocket and the screen read 'daddy'. 

"Hello?"

"Hey, Lily where are you and Renee?" He asked worried. I looked up at the wall clock, it was mid-night already?

"Oh sorry daddy I didn't call back. Mama and I are fine, we found Kai and we're in the hospital right n-" 

"What?! Why?!" He exclaimed, he probably woke Lia and Liam up. 

"I'll explain the rest when we get home." He didn't answer he just hung up.

I awkwardly put the phone down.

"Who was it sweety." My mother asked with a shaky voice. 

"Daddy." she nodded her head then looked back to Mrs. Wilson. 

Mr. Wilson had dry tears on his cheeks and kept a stern face, I could tell that his teeth were clenching because of his jaws. The door to Kai's room opened and I saw a glimpse of him lying on his patient bed unconscious. I stood up instantly, but the door closed as the doctor came out. 

"Mr. and Mrs. Wilson?" He looked at them both. 

They stood up and nodded their heads. 

"Kai had internal bleeding we have determined how this happened." The doctor stopped for a moment then continued as he flipped some pages around on his clipboard. 

"His stomach and ribs were impacted greatly, so whoever violently attacked him must've been very powerful. We've had many incidents were high school or university football players come in and are in situations where they've been tackled by taking a helmet to the abdomen. It causes internal bleeding in the spleen and liver and their organs need to be taken care of obviously with surgical procedures. We will be transferring him into the operating room." He held Mr. Wilson's shoulder and gave Mrs. Wilson a consoling look and said that he will be back. 

The doctor walked away in a distance and shortly after he left, nurses busted open Kai's door and pulled Kai's bed to the operating room. I as his body passed by us Mrs. Wilson broke out sobbing uncontrollably Mr. Wilson trying to calm her down. My mother looked like she was in shock, why wouldn't she be? Daniel and I stared at him, as he slowly faded away, down the hall. He was pale, colourless. His features weren't glowing with joy anymore. 

"Renee?" I heard my father's voice. I turned to where I heard it from and I saw him in the middle of the corridor with Lia and Liam at his sides, my siblings in their pajamas and winter jackets.

"Laurence." My mother went to him and gave him a hug, she was disturbed by everything that was happening. It was really taking over here mentally.

"George, How is Kai and what happened?" my father asked while my mother sat next to Mrs. Wilson and Lia and Liam came over to me.

"Is Kai going to be okay?" Lia asked.

I looked at their watery eyes and nodded, trying to have hope. 

"He will be okay, you know Kai and how strong he is."

"What about the party tomorrow?" Liam asked. Then I froze I didn't have an answer. What were we going to do about tomorrow? But that's the least of our worries right now. 

I looked over to Daniel and saw him tensed about something, he was texting someone.

"Who is it?" I asked quietly. 

"Rosy, she's freaking out about Kai." He informed me. I nodded my head. 

"He will be fine, he is strong nothing can hurt him." I said with confidence. 

We had to play the waiting game. Mama, daddy, Lia, Liam, George, Katherine and Daniel. We all stared off into space waiting for Kai, waiting for him to come back to us and talk to us. It's the holidays and Christmas is coming we need to be together as one big happy family. 

It's 2:00 a.m and the doctor that had come to us earlier stepped out of the operating room. He shut the door behind him and made his way down the hall with his clipboard. All of us stood up slowly, all we heard were the 'click' noises that his shoes made. 

"Mr. and Mrs. Wilson," He paused for a while giving all of us a long face. "Kai is not in danger of anything." He finished off with a huge smile. Suddenly everyone let out a long sigh of relief. 

"Thank you doctor, this means so much to us." Mrs. Wilson cheered. 

Mr. Wilson shook his hand and the doctor went to treat his other patients. All I wanted to see was Kai, I will only be relieved once i've seen him gazing back at me. A nurse walked out of his room and informed us that we can meet him now. Mr. and Mrs. Wilson went to meet him first. As much as I wanted to, his parents have the right to be the first ones. After a while they came out.

"Someone wants to see you." Mrs. Wilson said to me while Mr. Wilson had his arm around her, both of them giving me a heart warming smile. 

I didn't say a word, I just silently walked into the room and say Kai. His chest was raising up and then down, I heard beeping from all of the monitors attached to him. I dodn't like the sounds of the monitors the remind of the time my mother was in the hospital not too long ago. Kai noticed me coming closer to him and he looked at me. Finally, I let out a sigh. I wanted to hug him so badly, I couldn't hold it in, I had to touch him but I couldn't he would still feel pain since he is recovering. 

"Lily." He struggled to speak I put my finger on his lips to keep him from saying anything, I would've said no but I was inaudible. I couldn't speak because of the lump in my throat I teared up and slightly chuckled at my action, and Kai simply grinned. 

My heart ached for him to get better. I sat down next to his bed, just the two of us in the room. We stared into each other's eyes. Me being in a trance, but Kai talking to me with his eyes. He reached for my hand and I gave him mine. He gave it a little squeeze and I knew that he fought through it, he was strong enough. 

"Kai." Lia came in, Liam following her, my parents behind them, Daniel behind them and lastly Kai's parents. 

Lia and Liam rushed to Kai and gave him flowers that they bought from the gift shop. "Thank you guys." My father placed it on the side table. Kai is okay now, everyone stood around his bed in silence until we heard tiny snores from Liam at the back side of the room. He fell asleep on the couch and everyone started to chuckle slightly including Kai. 

"So," Mr. Wilson broke the silence. "the nurse said that Kai is free to go tomorrow, but he will be on bed rest." 

"So the Christmas party isn't canceled?" Lia asked with anticipation. I looked at her and smiled. 

"No, it isn't canceled." I grinned to myself then looked at Kai. He smiled back and began to speak. 

"But I shouldn't risk my health," everyone was confused at what he was saying then he continued. "I can't get poisoned by Lily's dinner i'll just order pizza tomorrow for myself." Everyone burst out laughing and I pouted. 

"Yup, Kai's absolutly fine." I crossed my arms and he just laughed at my face then gave me a sorry look. 

"Your are so lucky that you are injured right now." I told Kai, because otherwise I would've been hitting him with a pillow.