Chapter 3: Lost and Found

Author's Note: Let me first start out by saying that I am EXTREMELY impressed with all of you. As of right now, I have 48 reads, 6 comments, and 2 votes. That makes me really happy that people are taking notice. Thank you all so much! Keep it up, guys! This chapter is dedicated to TrinityTech24, my first fan. You are awesome, thank you so much for becoming my fan!

Chapter 3: Lost and Found

For the longest time, I just stood there, staring at the place where my family had disappeared. This could not be happening. Things like this just don't happen, even to wizards. This must all just be a nightmare. There was no way that I could have actually found a real Time Turner. Those were supposed to have been destroyed almost 30 years ago. Maybe if I closed my eyes and pinched myself really hard, then I'd be able to wake up from this horrible dream. I squeezed my eyes shut as hard as I could and gave myself a good, hard pinch to the arm. I was so focused on waking myself up that I didn't feel Athena leave my shoulder, and I certainly didn't hear the very faint sound of leaves crunching as someone - or something - drew ever nearer. Until I felt the cold, hard tip of a wand pressed against the middle of my back.

"Don't move a muscle," growled a voice; it was low and threatening, but there was also just the faintest quiver of fear in it. I gulped and slowly opened my eyes; I was frozen in terror, unable to move even if I wanted to. "Turn around slowly," the voice commanded, and I obeyed. I really didn't have a choice; it was either that or be blown to bits. I turned to face my captor, and I was finally able to see that it was . . . Uncle Ron???

Now I was almost positive that I was dreaming, or maybe going mad. Uncle Ron was with supposed to be with his family, and yet here he was, right in front of me. What was even stranger was that he seemed to be years younger, or maybe it was my imagination acting up again; heaven knows it wouldn't be the first time. His bright red hair was plastered to his forehead and he was covered in scrapes and bruises. Apparently, he wasn't expecting to see me either, because we both stared at each other for a few moments.

"GINNY?? What are you doing here? I thought you were back at the castle!"

I turned, expecting to see Mum standing directly behind me, but we were utterly alone. I turned back to Uncle Ron, confused. Who had he been talking to? There was no one here but us. And then it dawned on me. No, he couldn't possibly think that. Surely he wouldn't be that stupid . . .

He grasped my wrist roughly and started dragging me in the direction of the castle. "Come on, we've got to get you back! Mum'll murder me if anything happens to you! She's probably beside herself as it is."

I struggled against his grip, but it was no use. He was strong, and he wasn't about to let go anytime soon. "Wait! Wait - stop - you don't understand -"

"Merlin's beard, Ginny, would you stop squirming? Don't make this more difficult than it already is -"

"I'M NOT GINNY!"

He finally stopped at my loud exclamation. He turned back to face me, never once letting go of my wrist. "What are you talking about?" he asked incredulously, and he seemed incapable of believing a word I said.

"I just told you - I'm not Ginny. I'm . . . someone else." I had been close to saying I was her daughter, but I stopped myself in time. If he mistook me for my mother, Lord only knows what he would think if I told him the whole truth.

He studied me carefully and with concern, then put his hand on my forehead. "Ginny, are you feeling all right? You seem a bit out of it. Did the battle really affect you that bad?"

"I'm not sick," I insisted stubbornly, pushing his hand away. "Nor am I delusional. I already told you, I'm someone else."

From the look on his face I hadn't convinced him. Merlin, he was impossible! How had Mum stood growing up with this stubborn git? "All right, you can stop that now," he said anxiously. "You've had your fun, but enough is enough."