Chapter 2: The Last Time Turner

• Dedicated to Bridget Blackburn

Author's Note: I bet you can guess what this chapter is about. So, everyone, last I checked, this had 18 reads! I'm happy - from 7 to 18 in a day, that's really good! Keep it up, guys! Again, I'm going to ask you to  please comment....even if you tell me you absolutely hate it I'm not gonna care, as long as you tell me what you think. I will read them and I'll try to incorporate any advice into the upcoming chapters. Constructive criticism is a good thing, guys! All right, last thing before I let you continue reading. This chapter is dedicated to my friend Bridget Blackburn, who I wish was my sister. Okay, I've bored you enough. Please comment!

Chapter 2: The Last Time Turner

Mum, Dad, James, Al, Athena and I all walked down the street together as a family, trying to remain as inconspicuous as possible. However, even though we'd all remembered to wear Muggle clothes, we still attracted a good many stares. I winced as I saw one of my classmates run into a door because she was so busy staring at my dad. Not that I wasn't used to this behavior, of course; I'd come to expect it, seeing as my parents were both very important figures in the famous Battle of Hogwarts.

I still remembered the day I'd found out who they really were. I had been 9 at the time, and the only reason I recall it so well is because it had been on Albus's first day at Hogwarts. I could still picture the scene in my mind - people scurrying back and forth near the Hogwarts Express, animals making loud noises like we were at a zoo instead of a train station, Mum saying last-minute goodbyes while standing next to Aunt Hermione and Uncle Ron. I remember Al's last words before the train pulled out of the station: "Why are people staring at you?"

"It's me," Uncle Ron had replied jokingly. "I'm famous." However, it hadn't been Uncle Ron that Al had asked. It had been Dad. He was standing there, watching his youngest son ride the train that would take him to his home for the next nine months, touching the thin scar on his forehead, almost like he was remembering some other time.

"He'll be all right," I'd heard Mum say as she grasped his shoulder.

"I know he will," Dad replied. His voice was soft and loving, the way it always was when he was proud of us. Right now he was proud of Al, and I knew why; Albus reminded Dad of himself.

It wasn't until the car ride home when I'd asked the question. "Dad? Why were all those people staring at you?"

He was silent for a few moments as he thought of a suitable answer for my question. "It's because of the funny scar on my head," he said finally, and I could tell that he was forcing himself to be lighthearted for my sake. I knew something was bothering him, but he wouldn't admit it to me.

"I don't think that's it. Mary has a scar on her hand shaped like a crescent moon, and people don't stare at her like they stare at you."

Dad sighed in exasperation at my persistence. He didn't say anything for a while, and when he finally did speak, he sounded troubled and . . . sad. "I wasn't lying to you when I said it was because of my scar, Lily."

I became scared; I'd never heard Dad use that tone before. "Does this have something to do with Grandma and Grandpa Potter?" I pressed, desperate to find out more information.

He glanced at me in the rear view mirror and I was startled to see that his bright green eyes were now shimmering with a thin film of tears. "Lily, please," he begged, "not right now. I can't . . . I can't talk about it right now, okay?"

The rest of the ride was silent, and when we reached home Mum and Dad both went upstairs into the Office. It was the place where they had their most serious discussions that they didn't want us to hear. Seeing as there was no one for me to play with, I decided to go up to my room. The Office door was open as I walked up the stairs, and I tiptoed quietly past, trying not to disturb them. I'd reached the bookcase on the other side of the doorway when I heard something that made me freeze.