Chapter 21: Chance Encounters

Lily.

My eyes flew open as I struggled to get in a breath, the single word echoing through my head. Another sound came from the corner of the room and I sat bolt upright, releasing a more audible gasp. My gaze immediately latched onto the source of the noise, my body tense as I prepared for what could possibly await me. However, it was merely Athena, sitting atop her perch as usual. Slowly, as I began to realize that I wasn't in any danger at the moment, I began to relax, allowing my back to slump against the headboard. Athena studied me with her dark eyes, her gaze piercingly curious.

"I'm alright," I managed to answer her silent question. "It was just a dream."

I tried my best to believe it. But even with all the practice I'd had during Hogwarts, I still couldn't lie. Not to my friends, not to my family, and certainly not to myself.

I glanced upward to see that my vision was obscured by dark red bangs dangling in my eyes. Furrowing my brow, I tried to blow the offending curtain of hair away, instead succeeding in tickling my nose. When was the last time I'd had a hair cut? I'd have to get one soon. If I was going to be teaching this coming year at Hogwarts, then I was going to have to turn the matted mop on my head into something that looked at least presentable.

Brushing my hair as best as I could out of my face, I pushed back the covers and swung my legs over the edge of the bed, stretching my stiff limbs before forcing myself to my feet. Blinking the remaining sleep out of my eyes, I stumbled into the master bathroom, which connected directly to my room, and turned on the shower. Letting it heat up, I took the time to brush out my tangled mane, which would hopefully make it easier to wash, before splashing some cold water on my face. The water caught on my bangs and drenched them, making them turn the color of blood.

I shivered at the thought before pushing away the images that came with that color. They weren't something that I wanted to dwell on, not today. Today I needed to concentrate on just making it through the day.

Blowing out a long breath, I removed my PJ's before stepping into the now hot shower. I tilted my head back, letting the water wash over my shivering body and allowing my thoughts to drift again. I had been traveling so much recently that I hadn't had the time to actually relax - or think, for that matter. I needed a break.

A break . . .

As soon as the idea popped in my head, my mind began piecing together a plan. According to my dad's stories, there was a zoo not too far from here. I'd never been there, but it couldn't be too difficult to find, right? Besides, I loved animals. I hadn't really seen any, besides Athena, since coming here. It would be a welcome distraction from the more serious thoughts that were on my mind as of right now.

That was what I'd do, then. I'd spend the day at the zoo. Well, maybe not the whole day - there wasn't really that much to do at a zoo, and I doubted I could spend that much time surrounded by little screaming children -, but a good portion of it, anyway. I could always go out for lunch while I was there. It would be nice to get out of the house and interact with the Muggle world for once. This plan firmly in my mind, I finished my shower and turned off the water, determined to get ready as soon as possible for my day out.

By the time I finished and began walking downstairs, it was a little after eight. Trixie was already busy with the housework, tidying up and dusting everything in the way that only she could. I felt a huge amount of respect for the house-elf. I would never have been able to do any of this myself. It was a miracle she had agreed to come work with me.

"Good morning, Sophie!" she called in a cheery, squeaky voice. 'Round her tiny waist was an apron that I had sewed for her as a present, and she smiled broadly as she brandished a feather duster bigger than herself. "How is you feeling today, Miss?"