14. Fly

Chapter 14

 I was too nervous to talk to Sam about the whole LA thing, but I was going to do it tonight.  I had to.  Because since it was the Friday before graduation, that meant that I only had two days until I had to make my final decision. 

I'd already gotten my first class ticket to LA, even if I decided not to go.  I just wanted to be prepared if I went.  My grandma had gotten me some boxes also.  They were sitting beside my closet door.

I think she knew that I was more than likely going to go. 

I mean, it was the opportunity of a lifetime.  Yeah, I could have gone anytime and David would have given me a producing job whenever I did.  But this was going to be from the get go.  I was going to start the day his production company started in LA. 

So the night of the big senior party - it was at Club Illuminate; apparently Evan had given the school a good price to rent it out - I was almost finished getting ready when my grandma knocked on the door of my room. 

"Hey, sweetie," she said, sticking her head in my room.  "Sam's here.  Is he okay to come in here?"

I nodded, turning around.  She looked me over with a smile. 

"You look good," she said. 

I looked down at my ripped black t-shirt that showed my silver bra, short purple sequined shorts, fishnets, and heels and laughed. 

"Thanks," I said, shaking my head. 

She smiled as she opened my door wider and Sam walked in.  He looked me over just like my grandma did.

"You look great," he said, grinning.

I smiled as I walked toward him to give him a quick peck since my grandma was still in my room.  I caught her looking at me when I looked over Sam's shoulder.

"Tell him," she mouthed.

I nodded as she smiled and closed the door.

"So are you ready to go?  I know how you like to be there a little early so..."

"We need to talk first," I said, looking up at him.  "We've got time."

I watched his expression turn to confusion and worry. 

"I don't like those words," he said quietly, wrapping his arms around my waist.  "You're not breaking up with me, are you?  Yeah, I know we're graduating tomorrow, but I plan on being with you..."

I shook my head.  "No, I'm not breaking up with you," I said.  "I've just got to tell you something that might change a lot."

Sam still looked worried as he led me over so we were sitting on my bed.  "What's going on?" he asked.  "You're still planning on revealing that it's really you behind the mask tonight at the party, right?"

I nodded.  "Yes, but that's not what this is about," I said.  I took a deep breath, looking down at his hands in mine.  "David and Cami are moving to LA.  David's moving his production company there and they're leaving after our graduation tomorrow."

I looked up at him, hoping that he would get where I was heading to. 

"How are you taking them moving?" he asked.  "I know you'll miss them with them being all the way across the country..."

I shook my head, looking at him.  "That's just it," I said.  "They've asked me to go with them."

Sam's face was blank...for the whole twenty minutes that he just sat there, staring at me.  Well, it was more like a minute, but it felt like twenty minutes.  He couldn't even look in my eyes.