6. You Da One

Chapter 6

I woke up to the smell of perfume close to my face.  And that perfume I knew belonged to Cami.  I opened my eyes slowly to see her sitting on the side of the bed, smiling down at me. 

"Well, good afternoon, sleepyhead," she said, chuckling. 

I sat up slowly, yawning.  "Afternoon?  What time is it?" I asked.

"Oh, about one," she said.  "I've got lunch cooking in the kitchen if you want any."  She stood up and walked back to the door.  "I've got to go get David up.  Oh, and I left some clothes for you in the bathroom for you to change into."

"Thanks," I said, throwing the covers off of me and heading to the bathroom.

About fifteen minutes later, I made my way out into the hallway and toward the kitchen.  I could hear Cami start laughing as I walked in.

"Sweetie, can't you at least comb out your hair before you come out?" she asked David, running her hands through his messy hair.

He leaned down and kissed her neck.  "You know you love my messy bed head," he said, making her giggle again.

"Gag," I said, sitting down at the breakfast bar. 

David grinned over at me.  "It's a good thing you just made yourself known or you might have had to see us doing the nasty on the kitchen counter," he said, wiggling his eyebrows.

Cami laughed and smacked him upside the head.  "Don't scar the girl for life," she said.

 "Yes, please don't," I said.  "I'd rather eat lunch than imagine that."

Cami smiled as she passed a plate of pasta to me.  Maria was a good cook and all, but she had nothing on Cami.  I usually came over to her and David's penthouse apartment two or three times a week for dinner.  They only lived four blocks from my and my grandma's place, so it wasn't that far.

"So how was the party?" Cami asked me as she sat in the chair beside me.  "Get any action with the birthday boy?"

I groaned.  "Do you start that also!" I said.  I pointed at David, who was standing on the other side of the counter, shoveling food in his mouth.  "I heard enough of it from that little perv over there last night."

"What?" he asked with his mouth full.

Both Cami and I laughed at him.

"But seriously," Cami said.  "Did anything happen?  Like when you had to be his arm candy for his grand entrance?"

"That's what I said!"

I looked down, not wanting to answer the question.

She gave me a look.  "Did something happen?" she asked, trying to keep me on the subject.

I bit my lip, twirling my pasta around with my fork.  "Sam kind of...knows who I am now," I said.

Cami was completely silent.  She didn't say a word until I looked up at her shocked face.  "He what?" she said.

"Miss Popular over there took a break and had her mask on top of her head," David said.  "She bumped into him and her mask fell on the floor without her realizing it.  He picked it up and put two and two together."

"Dani!  What are you going to do?" Cami asked.

I just shrugged.  What else could I have done?  "Nothing," I said.  "I asked him to keep it to himself and he said he would.  I believed him when he said that."

She sighed.  "Are you going to talk to him again?" she asked.  "Tell him everything?"

I shrugged again.  "I don't know.  Maybe he'll just forget about it."