Chapter Twenty-Two

Chapter Twenty-Two

The three still at the table sat in stunned silence for a moment, trying to recover from Georgiana's furious outburst.

William was the first the move, his face setting with anger as he went to stand, intent on following after his sister and telling her exactly what he thought of her little tirade. Before he could fully stand, he felt a hand on his arm pushing him down again, and turned to see Abey, a determined look on her face, shaking her head at him.

"No. Let me go." She said quietly.

"Abey, you don't have-" He began to protest, Abey still had the faint lines of the scars on her face she had received last time she was alone with Georgiana, and that was when she was in a good mood.

"Yes, I do. I have to talk to her at some point so why not now?" She cut across him, the steely glint in her eye making William resignedly sit back down and nod at her.

"Alright." He agreed, "Just don't aggravate her too much." He tried to joke, tracing a finger along one of the faint scars on her cheek, a slight frown on his face.

"I'll try." She smiled back, taking hold of his hand and giving it a reassuring squeeze before standing, nodding politely to the Queen before setting off in search of Georgiana.

It didn't take long to locate her, her shrill voice echoing through the corridors as she screamed at an unfortunate passing slave.

Abey braced herself as she walked up to where Georgiana stood, a terrified girl quivering in front of her as she raised her hand ready to strike her across the face.

"Georgiana!" Abey called, causing the Princess to freeze and slowly turn to look at her. "Go on." She smiled reassuringly at the girl, who quickly bowed and looked at her with thankful eyes, before hurrying away as fast as she could.

Abey and Georgiana stood facing each other for a moment, the tension rising in the silence and unspoken words between them.

"You shouldn't take your anger out on innocent people, not when we both know it's me you really want to hurt." Abey said calmly, Georgiana's eyes flashing dangerously as she began to tremble.

"How, dare, you." She breathed, her voice no more than a whisper. "How dare you!" She repeated louder, taking a step forward. "How dare you address me by name, dismiss staff as if you hold any authority here, and then tell me what I should and should not do! How DARE you!"

She was screaming by the end, and Abey leapt back just in time as Georgiana lunged for her, regaining her balance when she missed with surprising speed and grace, Abey gasping in shock at the sudden viciousness in her attempted attack.

"How could anyone think of you as Queen? It makes me sick." She said, low and disgusted as she looked Abey up and down.

Abey wanted nothing more than to run and hide. Despite the fact Georgiana was a year younger than her, and often played the part of simpering Princess, Abey knew better, and in all honesty, was terrified by her.

'You've been through worse than this,' She told herself forcibly. 'She's a normal person, just like you...only a little more violent, that's all.'

She took a deep breath to steady her nerves and planted her feet even firmer into the ground, lifting her head high to meet Georgiana's gaze straight on.

"To be perfectly honest, Georgiana, it makes me sick too. I have no idea how to be Queen and I won't pretend I do. I know where I came from, and I know my past; but I don't know my future, and frankly it terrifies me." She couldn't help laughing slightly, she found it bizarre that the first person she confessed her deepest feelings to was the person who hated her most of all.

Georgiana stood in shock, unable to comprehend a slave talking to her in such a manner. She wanted to rip the up-start's hair out but found her feet glued to the floor as she had the audacity to carry on, talking to her as if it were usual and appropriate, as if they were equals.

"But I love your brother." Abey implored, knowing that somewhere in Georgiana's chest there was a heart and some kind of compassion - she had seen how she wept for the King. "And he loves me. I'm part of your family now whether you like it or not."

Georgiana pursed her lips together, her Mother had said the same thing, and unfortunately, she couldn't deny it was true.

"And in a few days, I'll become Queen, whether either of us like it or not." Abey continued, surprised at Georgiana's silence. "So the least we can do is be civil to each other. Not friends, or sisters, or anything like that. Just civil. What do you say?"

Georgiana studied the slave for a moment. 'She has a point', she mused to herself, 'She is going to be Queen - and I will not be made a pariah in my own Kingdom by a vengeful, bitter slave.' She shuddered at the thought of this filthy girl being deemed better than she was, being considered Royalty.

"You'll never be one of us." She hissed quietly after a pause.

"If it means being like you, then I don't particularly want to be." Abey replied bluntly, seeing the dangerous flash in Georgiana's eyes. And something else. 'Almost like...respect.' She thought in surprise, not realising she was the first person other than the Royal Family to ever stand up to her and hold their ground this way.

"What do you say?" She repeated firmly, determined to get an answer, for everyone's sake, not just her own.

Georgiana didn't reply. Her eyes bored into Abey's for a moment longer before she gave the smallest of nods, then she turned on her heel and strode away.

Abey stayed as she was until the Princess was entirely out of sight, then let out a breath she didn't realise she had been holding. She laughed to herself, more out of relief than humour, and turned around, aiming to making her way back to the Dining Room.

She was surprised to find William walking towards her, his face etched with worry. She smiled and walked up to him, stopping just before him as he put his hands on her shoulders.

"Are you alright?" He asked, the anxiety clear in his voice. "I couldn't wait any longer, I know what she's like, did she hurt you or-" He began to ramble before Abey cut him off.

"William, I'm perfectly fine. I can handle a sixteen year old girl, no problem." She joked, knowing William knew just how terrifying she found his adopted sister.

"And?" He asked nervously.

"She agreed to a truce. We'll be civil. Nothing more." She explained, and laughed quietly as he sighed in relief, hugging her tightly. He then swung his arm around her shoulders and started walking back through the Palace corridors.

"Well, that's the best we can ever get." He smiled proudly at her. "I mean, who would want Georgiana for a friend, really?" He whispered to her just as one of her Ladies-in-Waiting swept past, giving them a slightly jealous look before sweeping off, resigning herself to an evening with an angry Princess.

"I see what you mean." Abey tried to say seriously, stifling a laugh. She couldn't help but be happy when she was with William, no matter what the circumstances around them.

"Come on, you need to eat your dinner and then get some proper rest tonight." He said, nodding to the guard as they opened the large door of the Dining Room for them. "It's going to be a big couple of days."