Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

Abey stared at William for a moment, before nudging him over to have a look at this 'old friend' of hers through a crack in the door.

She just saw the back of Sabina as she lead the tall man into her office. The tall man with the long coat and the thick boots. The silhouette she could place instantly.

William felt her stiffen next to him as she peered through the door, her entire body tensing.

"I don't understand." William whispered, "I thought Lord Campell had slaves brought to him, what is he doing here?" He mused to himself, frowning at Abey when she suddenly let a relieved chuckle.

"What? What is it?" He whispered urgently, unable to think of any situation that would warrant that reaction.

"It's not him" she answered, turning to face his putting her hands on William's shoulders. "I just saw his face. We're alright" she breathed before quickly kissing him in relief.

As she had been watching, the man had turned to face the door for a second, taking in the surroundings. Instead of the sharp, angular features and neat, slicked-back hair she had been expecting, the man's face was round, and though his hair was still neatly slicked-back, it's light, coppery colour was the complete opposite of the man she thought he was.

Feeling braver now she knew it wasn't her previous Master come to find her, Abey creaked the door open and stepped quietly out, leading William by the hand.

"We can go and explore the village again while Sabina takes care of her business" she suggested to William as they walked as quietly as they could towards the front door. William nodded his head, he didn't exactly relish the idea of witnessing a child being sold to a stranger, and guessed Abey would like to even less.

"Ah, there you two are."

Abey and William both span around to find Sabina stood in the doorway, and both internally groaned, the chance of a short escape now seeming to fade.

"Will you do me a favour, nip to Rob's and ask him for an extra leg of lamb. We'll be having a guest for dinner" Sabina requested, and William was surprised to hear an almost sad tinge to her voice.

"Of course, Auntie Sabina, we'll be back before you know it" Abey replied, pulling on William's hand as they made their way closer to the door.

"Sabina, is everything..." The unfamiliar voice of the man filled the air as he appeared next to Sabina, checking to make sure she wasn't trying to pull any scam on him, as he had experienced with some other traders. His voice trailed off when he saw the two young people in the corridor, both fixing him with an almost frosty stare. "Sabina, I thought you only specialised in younger slaves, and here you are hiding two perfectly experienced specimens right here!" He looked accusingly at the old woman, the two older slaves seeming to prickle at his words.

"Oh no, my dear, these two aren't slaves at all" Sabina said with a low chuckle. "No, this is my niece and her husband. They're staying with me for the time being" she explained.

"Niece?" The man enquired, raising an eyebrow as he first looked Abey up and down and then the trader. He didn't like being lied to, and the contrasting colour of the two women's skin were making him think this was probably one of these times.

"I was adopted" Abey said quickly, reading the man's expression, before giving a small smile to Sabina and dragging William out of the door. William was busy glaring at the man, who had let his gaze linger a little too long on his wife as she pulled him through the door, closing it behind them.

"Shame about those two" The man sighed, staring at the door they had just exited through. "I could have got a good price for the pair of them" he mused wistfully, Sabina felt her stomach churn, she never liked Masters and Traders like this, the one's who saw everyone as a slave with a price over their head.