Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Twenty-One

Over the passing week, William felt as if he had been transported to another world, people and places rushing around him as words and sounds became inaudible. Only the near-constant feeling of Abey's warm hand in his keeping him grounded to the floor.

He had stood in a dream throughout his Father's funeral, not quite knowing himself how he managed to stand in front of the crowds and tell them of his love and respect for the man who had been their King for so many years, Abey's words echoing in his mind - 'Make your Father proud...'

No-one had questioned the Prince's sudden return, the mystery of his disappearance overshadowed and easily forgotten through the Kingdom's mourning.

The whirlwind began once more after the Funeral, when plans were made for William's succession to the throne. He spent days in meetings and talks with members of the council and the court, discussing and telling him everything he would need to know for when he became King, his coronation set to take place just a week after the Funeral.

Everything was discussed, from the Palace to the smallest villages, relations with the neighbouring Kingdoms, the price of bread to the value of gold, the fates and lives of the people literally in his hands. William stayed mostly silent throughout these meetings, silent but listening intently, still trying to take the enormity of his situation in.

Abey wasn't too sure what to do with herself during the days. It was quite clear she was no longer expected to work as a slave, but though she now ate her meals with the Royal Family, and spent the evenings with William, during the day she left to her own devices, the Court not wishing to have anything to do with her.

At first, she had spent time wandering through the endless corridors of the Palace, exploring every part she had never dared enter before. She had done the same in the gardens, before spending her time in the Kitchens, doing odd jobs and feeling more useful and productive, all the while her mind drifting back to William, wishing she could be more useful to him now.

"I'm guessing we won't be seeing as much of you around here after next week." Belinda said brightly, failing to hide the bittersweet edge to her voice.

"Don't worry, you'll never be rid of me properly." Abey smiled back as she and Belinda kneaded piled of dough in front of them.

"Ey, what did I always say! I knew you'd be our Princess one day!" Joanna grinned as she worked behind them.

"I don't think I'm really cut out to be a Princess. They might not even let me be one." Abey grimaced, trying to ignore the nagging thoughts in the back of her mind. She knew that the Council were still trying to decide her fate, they weren't too enamoured with the idea of their new King being married to a slave, released or not.

'And if they decide against me...' She quickly shook her head, pushing the thoughts away.

"Anyway, you don't think I'd really abandon all of you, do you?" She smiled around at them, Meggie calling "Never!" from a few work stations away, obviously listening in, making them all laugh.

"Well speaking of abandoning us, look at the time!" Belinda bustled, taking the apron off Abey and brushing some of the flour off her sleeve. "It's almost dinner, and their Majesties don't like to be kept waiting." She bowed deeply as Abey laughed, brushing her hands clean and curtsying back before setting off.

"I'll see you tomorrow!" She called, running up the stairs that led out of the kitchens, giving them a quick wave over her shoulder.

She quickly made her way towards the dining room, trying to straighten her hair and clothes as best she could before she arrived. She knew William wouldn't mind if she came to dinner dressed in a potato sack with a bird's nest in her hair, but she had had enough of the Queen's lectures and Georgiana's remarks to make her at least try and make an effort.