Chapter One: The Beginning (COMPLETED REVISION)

• Dedicated to Ashley Davis

    I walked in the house, not bothering to be quiet. It was dark, but I knew better than to think everyone was asleep. The music blasting from upstairs was a dead giveaway. I walked to the stair case, having knowing my way around.

My foot steps were quieted by the carpeted steps, and my black canvas shoes weren't exactly loud either. I did make sure I didn't bang on any walls though. Maddie was surely asleep, but with the music blaring, it was possible she wasn't.

The music was throbbing through the walls as I got to the top of the stairs and it felt as if I was in the room. The only breaks in the music were the familiar yells. I recognized Steve's voice, but the music was making it impossible to decipher his words.

This was routine. They start drinking, the argument starts, the music blares, then comes the loud banging from the bed hitting the wall and the occasional moan. A glow came from the end of the hall from my mother and step-fathers room. I could faintly hear the yelling over the music, and could see the shadows dancing toward me as the figures were going back and forth behind the door.

"Sophia?"

I turned around with my hand on my door knob. Maddie's room was directly across from mine. It was dark, but her golden curls still fell around her shoulders like a halo, and her wide green eyes were red from crying. She looked unusually small standing in her doorway.

"What's the matter Maddie? Why're you crying?" I wasn't exactly panicked. Maddie cries almost every night.

"I wanna go to Aunt Lucy's house," she whined. Lucinda is my Mom's younger sister. Everyone says I look a lot like her, but that's to be expected since I look a lot like my mother. I looked at Maddie and sighed as I held out my hand.

"Come on. You can sleep with me tonight and we'll call her in the morning."

She took my hand and I guided her into my room. I flicked on the lamp beside my bed and it gave off a yellowish glow.

The walls were a deep purple, a color I loved and it happened to be convenient to cover up the flaking yellow paint, with a cheap wooden bed pushed against the wall. A large black and white Marilyn Monroe picture hung above the bed.  A dresser was beside the closet door opposite the bed and there was a black and white photo of me when I was a toddler. A computer desk was on the right as soon as you walk through the door, and an old and ancient desktop sat on top of it.

Maddie immediately climbed into my bed and I walked over to my dresser and started stripping down. I threw my dark grey and neon green sweatshirt on my computer chair and my black skinny's in the laundry basket. I kicked my canvas shoes in the closet and grabbed a pair of light blue cotton boxers and kept my white tank top on. I was careful to not let my bruises show. I could feel the tenderness from where his hands gripped too hard, leaving finger marks all over my skin. There was a matching bite mark on my shoulder and a hickey on my neck.

"If you go to Aria's tomorrow, can I go with you?" she asked as she snuggled into my bed. The black comforter contrasted against her blonde hair and she looked stunning. Maddie and I look like twins, even though we were total opposites.

While Maddie had blonde hair that stopped in natural curls at her shoulders and round green eyes, I had long black hair that fell in a wavy curtain down to my waist, and my blue eyes have been continuously described as exotic with their almond-like shape. Our features were similar since we both looked like our mom, except my lips are poutier and my cheek bones are higher. I never studied Maddie like this too often, and tonight I noticed that her chubby cheeks were beginning to slim down. But those eyes I loved so much studied me, waiting for my answer.