Chapter 24: Questions And Answers

..."Olivia, do you mind if I ask you some questions?" Rose asked and the girl shook her head no.
"How old are you?" Rose asked starting with the basics.
"I'm 4" Olivia said.
"Do you know what city you were born?" Rose asked.
"New York" Olivia said and Rose checked on her papers to make sure Olivia was saying the truth.
"And what city do you live now?"
"Seattle" Olivia said.
"Do you know where you lived before you went to be with Susan?" Rose asked.
"A house" Olivia said. "With other girls"
Rose checked and the girl was correct.
"And do you remember when Susan and her parents went to pick you up there?" Rose asked.
Olivia got more scared when the woman mentioned them, and took the blanket close to her face.
"Yeah" she answered.
"And how were they?" Rose asked.
"They were nice" Olivia said. "But then they weren't anymore" she said on the verge of tears.
"Why weren't they nice anymore?" The woman asked.
"They were mad and they hurt Susie and I" Olivia said.
"They'd hurt you because they were mad?" Rose asked and the girl nodded. "Do you remember how?" She asked.
"They hit and pinch us" Olivia said as a few tears slipped.
"And why would they get mad?" Rose asked.
"I don't know." Olivia said.
"You don't remember at all?" Rose asked.
"My shots and food... And their things" Olivia said.
"You didn't let them give you your shots?" Rose asked.
"Just sometimes when I was too scared" Olivia said as more tears kept falling.
"And did they get mad because you wouldn't eat your food?" Rose said and the girl nodded.
"And what would they do when you didn't eat?"
"They made me or they hurt me" Olivia said.
"And what about their things? They didn't like you playing with them?" Rose James asked.
"No" Olivia said sad.
"Alright." Rose said writing something on her paper while Olivia just sat there. She was really scared.
"And Olivia, when you came here for the first time, when you fell on the table, what exactly happened? Were you really running?" Rose asked and she could see how tense the child got. "You can tell me sweetie. Remember they can't hurt you anymore. You're safe"
"I was running" Olivia said.
"And why were you running?" Rose asked.
"Because I was scared of my shot" Olivia said crying.
"You didn't want to get it?" Rose asked.
"No" Olivia said.
"And you tripped and fell or what happened?" James asked.
"No. Sean pushed me" Olivia said.
"He pushed you?"
"Yeah. I was running because he was going to hold me down and he ran after me and pushed me and I fell" Olivia said really fast and crying.
"You feel on the table?" Rose asked and the girl nodded. "And then you came here?"
"Yeah" Olivia said.
"And how about when you got back home?" The woman asked.
"I went to bed with Susan" Olivia said.
"And did they hurt you then?" Rose asked and the girl nodded. "And what happened?"
"I broke her thing and she hit me" Olivia said.
"Whose thing?"
"Cecilia"
"And what did you do?"
"I went to bed" Olivia said.
"And do you remember what happened on the next day?" Rose asked the child.
"Yeah" Olivia said.
"Can you tell me?" Rose said.
"I called Amelia and Sean got mad" Olivia said.
"Why did you call Amelia?"
"Because she said that if I needed help i could call her" Olivia said.
"And you needed help because Cecilia hurt you?"
"Yeah" Olivia said.
"So you called and then what happened?"
"Sean came back and he hurt me" Olivia said starting to cry again.
"How did he hurt you?"
"With his belt" Olivia cried.
"And then what happened?"
"He took me to the bedroom and he just hit me a bunch of times and i don't know. I woke up here." Olivia started crying really bad.
Olivia's heart rate started to rise and her breathing got really bad.
"I want Amelia now" the little girl said sobbing.
"It's okay. Calm down" Rose said.
"I want Amelia" the girl yelled and sobbed.

Outside, at the nurse station, Amelia stood next to Meredith and Maggie. She was really impatient.
"This is taking too long" Amelia said pacing.
"She's alright. Calm down" Maggie said.
Suddenly they heard Olivia screaming for Amelia.
"I want Amelia" the girl yelled and sobbed.
Amelia didn't think twice and bursted into the room. Meredith and Maggie followed her.
She saw the small child desperately crying on the bed. She ran and picked Olivia up.
"It's okay. It's okay. Shuuuu you're safe" Amelia said moving around the room and running her hand on the child's back trying to calm her.
"Amelia" Maggie said noticing the girl's heart rate.
"Olivia. I need you to calm down. Baby." Meredith said coming close to Amelia and touching Olivia's back. "Look at me" Meredith said and the girl looked at her struggling to catch a breath.
"She's having a panic attack" Meredith said.
"Let's sit down" Amelia said and sat on the chair placing Olivia on her lap.
"Try to breathe like me. Look" Meredith said kneeing down. She took some slow and deep breaths as Olivia stared at her crying.
"You can do you it. Come on" Meredith said holding Olivia's hand.
The girl tried and laid her head on Amelia's chest and slowly her breathing went back to normal and she stopped crying.
"Good job" Meredith said smiling.
"I'm sorry, I was doing my job" Rose said.
"It's alright. We know it happens" Maggie said and Rose left.
"Do you want to take a little shower?" Meredith asked and Olivia nodded yes.
"Let's go" Amelia said and walked to the bathroom carrying the small girl in her arms. Meredith wheeled the pole and Maggie followed them.
Amelia placed the girl down and Olivia leaned to her feeling a little bit of pain as she was standing.
"I got you" Amelia said. She undressed the child and put a cast cover on her while Meredith turned the shower on and regulated the temperature.
"Are you okay?" Amelia asked Olivia before putting her in the shower, and the girl shook her head no. She started crying, hugged Amelia's legs and hid her face.
Amelia picked her up and went in the water with the girl in her arms.

Olivia laid her head on the woman's shoulder and held on tight to her.
"It's okay. You're safe" Amelia said rocking the girl a little under the water.
She let the warm water calm the child a little and then walked out.
She was soaking wet.
"I'll get you scrubs" Meredith said and walked out.
Amelia put the girl down and put a towel around her. She dried the girl, took the cast cover off and put her on the changing table.
Maggie pushed Olivia's hair away from her face and kept doing that while Amelia put a diaper on the child.
Once done, Amelia helped her sit down and put a hospital pajama shirt on the girl.
"It matches your paci" Maggie said smiling at Olivia and showing her the bunnies on her shirt.
Amelia used the towel to dry Olivia's hair a little, and then she combed it.
She put pajama pants on the girl.
"Alright" Amelia smiled. "All done" she said.
"Here" Meredith said handing Amelia new scrubs.
Amelia changed her clothes and picked the girl up again. Olivia rested her head on the woman's shoulder as Amelia walked back in the room.
Amelia gave Olivia her pacifier and her blanket.
"Do you want to go for a walk?" Amelia asked Olivia who nodded yes snuggling her blanket. Amelia turned to wheel the pole and Maggie said "I got it" and they walked out.
They walked around a little and then Meredith said she had to go home, and left. Maggie and Amelia walked for a while longer till Olivia fell asleep. Then they took her back to her room.
Amelia placed the girl back on the bed, covered her up and kissed her forehead.
"We need to monitor her heart" Maggie said concern and Amelia nodded.
"Try to get some sleep" Maggie said. "I'll be here" she added.
"Thank you" Amelia said.
"Well, she's my niece, isn't she?" Maggie said smiling as Amelia walked to the couch. Amelia looked back at her and smiled.
Maggie took the spot on the chair next to the bed and Amelia laid down on the couch and covered herself. It didn't take long for her to sleep.
Maggie sat there staring at the little girl on the bed.
And she loved her already.