12.

"Why can't you just grow up, Potter?"

James was taken aback by the viciousness of her attack. "Excuse me, Lily?"

"You heard me," she said heatedly. "Do you ever think of the consequences? Someone could have been seriously hurt."

"They were only fireworks, Lily. Relax."

"Fireworks in a full corridor, Potter. You expect me to relax?!"

"Lily, I honestly don't know why you're so worked up. The situation was completely under control. Sirius knew exactly what he was doing. I just wish he would have warned me first," he added, slightly annoyed himself.

There was a quiet scoff from the other side of the room. "Like you hadn't known all the long."

James' eyebrows jumped so high that they disappeared beneath his unruly hairline. "I hadn't, Evans. I'm not responsible for Sirius."

"You're Head Boy, Potter!" Lily howled, stamping her foot.

James suppressed a grin. Of all the times he found Lily attractive, this was certainly the most bizarre. Nevertheless, there it was.

"You're so cute when you're cross."

Lily glowered at him. "I'm not cross," she responded through gritted teeth.

James' smile broadened. "No, you're not," he agreed. "You're absolutely livid. It doesn't make you any less cute."

Lily's jaw twitched, her eyes hard. "Do not think you can charm yourself out of this, Potter."

He took two long steps toward her. "Relax, will you, Lily? No one was hurt. It was just a bit of fun. Loosen up."

"Loosen up?!"

She cast a hand over her eyes, massaging her temples. When she looked again, she was reasonably horrified to find him directly infront of her, smiling down kindly.

"You're so stressed," he told her gently. "Not that stressed doesn't mean you're not attractive or anything – I mean, Merlin, Lily, you've got to be the sexiest woman at Hogwarts. But that isn't the point," he added firmly.

Lily bit her lip to keep from a scathing reply. She did not need nor want to be having this conversation.

"The point," James continued, "Is that you can't be happy if you're stressed. And frankly, Lily, there are more important things to worry about."

She raised her eyebrows sardonically.

"That's rich, Potter. You, and only you, are the source of my stress."

"Within the problem, find the cure," he responded simply.

She opened her mouth to retort, but something blocked her path. Or rather, someone.

James had leant down and slowly, very carefully holding her chin, he kissed her.

He pulled away, grinning.

"There, Lily. I knew that would shut you up."

James could not believe he was acting so calmly. He had just kissed Lily – had he? – he had just kissed the girl of his dreams. Said girl was now gaping at him with an odd look on her face, but this didn't seem to matter because there was an odd feeling coursing through his body, and his lips were throbbing. Maybe they would only just stop throbbing if-

"James Potter, how could you dare-"

He silenced her again, this time with a longer, firmer, more passionate kiss. Her lips were so soft on his, perfectly melding together. Unconsciously, his arms snaked around her body, hands joining in the small of her back.