5.

Lily, of course, had seen the Marauders, and didn't miss a beat.

"Even better, you lot are all here, I can yell at you together," she told them grimly. "Give Mrs. Norris back. Poor Filch is desperate and as far as I've gathered the poor cat can't be having much fun herself, hidden away in a box. So give her back, please. Remus, I thought you knew better than this."

Remus shrugged. "I don't feel particularly sorry for either Filch or Mrs. Norris, Lily. The cat is in the room of-"

Sirius quickly muffled his friend, but Lily had already heard enough. "The room of requirement, is it?" she asked, resigned. "I suppose she would be happy enough in there, then. But Filch is driving me mad, so can you at least lock them up together? While you're at it, return that toilet too. Sirius, I'm looking at you."

Sirius muttered something dark under his breath, but as Lily hadn't waited for a reply she was already up the staircase. Sirius watched her progression along the gallery with interest.

"You know, Prongs, if you leant back like this, and Evans was leaning on that railing up there, I almost reckon you could see up her skirt," he said thoughtfully.

James scowled. "No perving on Lily, Padfoot. That's none of your business."

Sirius just laughed, in a mocking sort of way. "Don't even try to pretend you're not going to check if that ever happens, Prongs. It's a waste of our time."

Remus sighed. "You know, we really should give Mrs. Norris back, you know." He looked between his three friends, eyes wide. "Can we be mature about this for once?" he asked into the shocked silence.

"Not on your life, Moony," Sirius responded without missing a beat.

It was midnight by the time the Marauders managed to make it up to the seventh floor corridor. They had left after 11pm to avoid the prefects, and also because James had been required to patrol for an hour with Lily. Sirius was furious that it had taken an hour for them to climb three levels, but it seemed that Filch had enlisted the help of the Hogwarts ghosts to find his cat, and as it were the ghosts had been everywhere, popping through walls when they least expected it. Even the Marauders Map had proven quite unhelpful as they required light to read it.

"I can't believe you lot are giving in so easily," Sirius complained.

James shrugged easily. "Haven't we had our fun, Padfoot?"

"I think Mrs Norris has learnt her lesson by now, Sirius," Remus added.

Peter frowned, looking between his friends. Deciding to side with Sirius in the vain hope that it would earn him extra credit, he put his hands on his hips.

"You two aren't any fun anymore."

"Wormtail, get your hands off your hips, you bloody girl."

James began to pace, and on his third lap a door appeared. Eagerly, Sirius entered and the others moved to follow.

"Ow," Peter complained, having had his nose shoved into Sirius' back. For the boy had stopped short, staring at the Room of Requirement in amazement and disgust.

One by one, the boys filed in after Sirius, stunned.

The Room smelt distinctly of tuna, and was filled with all manner of strange things. Three lounges which had clearly seen better days stood at one end, cat hair sticking out of the material and huge claw marks slashed across their sides.

In the middle was a huge pool full of what appeared to be every kind of fish Mrs Norris fancied. At the far end was a fountain of milk, which appeared to cascade from the wall, while all manner of scrawny birds fluttered overhead, desperately fleeing from the frolicking feline.

"It's a bloody paradise," Sirius swore.

James grinned. "I guess its powers of intuition extend to cats," he shrugged. "I feel better now, somehow."

Mrs Norris had noticed her visitors. She leapt from her overhead walkway and landed on the ground at Sirius' feet, purring and entwining herself around his legs.

"She likes us!" Peter exclaimed unnecessarily, his face a priceless look of disbelief.

"Kind of seems a shame to free her when she's having such a good time," James said slowly.

"Now, James, remember what Lily said?" Remus reminded him sternly.

The Head Boy appeared to deliberate the matter for a few moments before sighing.

"Moony's right," he announced, addressing the cat. "I'm sorry, Mrs Norris, but we have to give you back." Struck by sudden inspiration, he added, "But if you're good, we'll let you back in here every now and then."

Mrs Norris purred.

Sirius looked up at his friends, eyes shining.

"Remind me why we didn't do this before?"

James shrugged, but was suddenly overcome with a (brilliant) idea.

"Hey guys… do you think that Lily would be this pleased to see us if we lock her in here?"

Remus looked at James, pity in his eyes as he shook his head. Sirius followed suit, and naturally, so did Peter, as the three turned and walked silently away from him.

Well, it hadn't sounded so bad in his head, James argued, before shrugging amiably and striding to catch up.