1.

"Evans!"

Lily Evans winced, recognizing all too well the voice that was currently crowing her name in a triumphant fashion. Seconds later, she found herself dangling in the air – well, not so much dangling as being picked up and hugged by a rather tall someone.

"Put me down, Potter," she growled, and he obeyed, beaming at her.

"Miss me?"

"Not at all," she said stiffly, making him laugh.

"That's good. I mean… It's good to see you, because I missed you too, you see."

"Right. That's lovely Potter. How about you go and tell Black all about it?"

A boy with long, shaggy black hair turned, smiling. The effect was, as always, devastating, but Lily had worked up a sort of immunity to Sirius Black.

"Someone say my name? Ah, Lily my dear, how are we?"

"We are going. I'll see you boys later."

A hand caught her arm. Potter again, his hazel eyes earnest.

"Lily, wait – I have a surprise for you."

She sighed and shook herself free. "It can wait, Potter."

She strolled off into the crowd that was gathering on the platform beside the great scarlet engine, casually flicking a long, dark red curl over her shoulder. James and Sirius watched her go.

"As much as I like Evans, I don't understand what you see in her," Sirius murmured.

James raised his eyebrows, whilst all the while appreciating that Sirius was probably the only person who could say this to him and get away with it.

"Padfoot," he replied flatly. "She's the most incredible, beautiful girl I've ever seen in my life."

Sirius rolled his eyes. He prodded James in the stomach.

"Pathetic, Prongs."

James shrugged. "Probably. Let's find the others."

"Ahh Moony, my heart bleeds." Sirius smirked by way of greeting, flinging open the compartment door. The small, mousy haired boy in the corner was so startled he fell off his seat.

Remus Lupin sighed, closing his book, Hairy Snout, Human Heart. "It's really quite interesting," he replied patiently. "I feel I can really relate to the author."

James laughed. "Of course, Moony. How is your furry little problem?"

Remus smiled as some first years walked past the open compartment door, oblivious. "It's hopping on nicely, thank you, Prongs."

James grinned. "Good to know," he said seriously, stowing his luggage above the seats. He sighed, ruffling his messy black hair, as he was habitually wont to do. "I'll be back in a while, children. Mind you behave, now."

Sirius smirked, stowing his trunk beside James'. With a flicker of a wink to the other two boys, he replied, "Yes Mum."

Laughing softly, James left the compartment, sliding the door closed.

"W-where's he going?"

The quiet voice emerged from the corner of the compartment. Sirius eyed the boy, his expression darkly amused. "He's gone to serenade Evans in the Heads compartment, Wormtail."

Peter Pettigrew frowned. "I don't think she'll like that very much."

Sirius rolled his eyes, muttering "Wormtail you twat." He swung his legs across the empty seat beside him, not bothering to elaborate. With a shrug, Remus returned to his book while Peter continued to watch Sirius, yearning in his eyes.

"Surprise, Evans."

Lily Evans startled in horror, snapping out of her reverie. Potter was closing the compartment door and taking the seat across from her.

"This is the Head's compartment, Potter," she told him, willing her voice to be patient. Unfortunately for Lily, she didn't have much patience left for James Potter. He seemed, overall, to be a continual disappointment.

James nodded earnestly. "Yeah, I know. Actually, I was going to suggest we might as well be nice to each other this year, but obviously you have other plans."

Lily rolled her eyes. "I hope that wasn't your surprise. I really don't have time for this conversation at the moment," she said, a little more gently. "I'm waiting for the Head Boy and then we have to go and speak to the prefects."

"Well you don't have to worry about waiting, do you? I'm ready, lead the way."

Lily raised her eyebrows. She eyed James cautiously, not exactly sure of a) what he was doing there (besides harassing her) and b) what he was talking about.

In fact, James was smiling. That was twice in one morning, she realized. This was not something that Lily had seen very often (she most firmly recalled that the majority of the occasions they had run across each other in the past, Potter had been smirking, or for some variation, laughing cruelly). And it was evident in the ensuing moments that the answers to her questions had occurred to her, as her lovely, curving lips fell open in shock.

"Who killed Dumbledore and made you Head Boy?" she demanded, both disbelieving and outraged.

James shrugged. "I suppose," he said thoughtfully, "that I must possess some sort of leadership qualities."

Lily groaned. She had inadvertently begun him on one of his ego trips.

He smiled at her again. "I mean, I'm sitting in here with you, and you definitely possess some fabulous leadership skills along with your beauty, talent and wit."

Lily put her head in her hands. "Right, Potter. Of course. Flattery will get you nowhere. Can we just go and see the prefects and get this over and done with?"