3: "Where are you taking me?"

Alex managed to talk me out of trouble for sneaking out of the house during the night when we got back home. Mr. Ricker wasn't pleased with the fact that I had left or that I knew how to pick the lock in order to escape. I didn't say anything, in fear of making it worse, but I could have just taken the key if I needed it. He seemed to forget that I had a proclivity for taking things out of people's hands and pockets without them realizing it. I let it slide since I was getting off scot-free because Mr. Ricker realized he didn't really have enough time to yell at me properly if he wanted get to work on time and give Alex enough time to take his brother, Seth, and myself to school.

We went our separate ways to prepare for our days, after he gave me a stern warning about not sneaking out again, and it was unfortunately time for me to go to school. I was going to finish up my senior year, for the second time. I had made it half way through last year before my suicide attempt, but after I had to be taken out of school and now had to repeat the grade. I could only hope to make it through this year, then hopefully figure out what to do for the rest of my life by going to college, but I didn't see that happening anytime soon.

Once I was upstairs, I went to the kitchen and grabbed a Pop Tart and a bottle of water for breakfast before racing to my room to make myself look presentable for the day. I changed into jeans and a blue racer back tank top just in time before Alex called to tell me it was time to go. The clock on my bedside table told me, in big bold numbers, that we were going to be late for school again if I didn't hurry up. I raked a brush through my hair before forcing it into a ponytail. I slipped my feet into my torn-up black Converses that I wore every day, and grabbed my backpack from my bedroom floor when Mrs. Ricker's voice called up to tell me we were going to be late again.

I raced down the stairs, almost tripping over myself a few times, and met Seth, Alex, and their mother at the door. We were each given a hug and a lunch as she pushed us out the door to be on time for school, but before I could walk out to get to the car, I was pulled back to talk by Mrs. Ricker. She had waited until the boys had left and were out of earshot to start speaking, so I knew it wasn't going to be a comfortable conversation.

"Be safe this week please, Sara," Mrs. Ricker pleaded as she held my hand tightly.

"I will be. I promise," I said quickly as I pulled out of her hold and left with my brothers. Seth had been buckled into the back seat and Alex was waiting impatiently behind the wheel when I slid in and let my bag fall to the floor in front of me. When we pulled out of the driveway I noticed her forced smile, and all I could do was offer a thumbs up to let her know I would be okay.

Alex had to drop of Seth first since he had to get to Garfield Middle School early today, he had a science fair project to set up or something, then we would continue on toward our high school which was only a short drive from his. Which was fortunate for us because the clock kept ticking and if we were late again we had a meeting with the principal waiting for us to discuss our priorities. It wasn't something I was looking forward to if it happened, but I'm sure she was.

Principal Burnfield loved to make school awful to attend. She was strict when she first came in my sophomore year, and she was still the exact same four years later. Maybe she treated me differently because I was a second year senior, either way I missed our last principal. Cragan was relaxed and understood that if someone was throwing punches at us we were going to do what we had to, especially since if you didn't throw a punch you were getting suspended anyway. I hope she's gone by the time Seth gets to our school, but I highly doubt it since principals stay a while.

"Bye, Seth!" Alex called, as Seth popped open the door.

"Have a good day," he answered, before shutting the door and racing into the school.