Scenes part 1 (Battle scenes, death scenes and kiss scenes)

Okay, so this is a requested tip. Okay so I feel that most authors need a pointer on this and how to describe their scenes and make them interesting. I've had trouble in this myself.

I will go over different types of scenes in this chapter.

First up are battle scenes:

     Battles scenes are hard. I admit myself. They are difficult. Depending on your setting, the battle scene will be different. But these scenes are exciting to the reader whether it's a fist fight between a nerd and bully, shoot out or sword battle, they are all interesting. One thing I think to do for a battle scene that I’m starting to do recently.

     First of all, write your scene the way you see it. Let’s say it’s a sword fight in a fantasy. You mustn’t overdo it with description; it slows down the pace of the story. If you are saying, 'bob leaped on the gray stone that was embedded in the ground. It has moss of all colors covering it and was chipped away slowly. There were strange markings on it like that of another language. Bob swung his sword down on the enemy who was a tan skinned man with bright blue eyes. His face was square and-' you get it right? Don’t you think that slows down the story? Description can be your friend but enemy. Using it in places that aren't needed like a battle scene is key. We don't need to know what the enemy looks like, he's about to die in five seconds. Same with the rock. Unless it has some purpose for the story, then maybe but still, it slowed it down. But writing it first as you see it is key. Don't care at first how much description you are putting in, just let your mind flow. After that, take a fifteen minutes break, forget what your wrote then come back and re read what you just wrote. As authors we shouldn't be in a hurry so taking time is the key for a good chapter. Once you re read it, is it how you imagined it? Is it confusing? If it doesn't make sense, re-write it. Take out; add more, you get it. Once you think it’s good enough and makes enough sense, have someone else read it. Maybe if you want to post it if you don't feel comfortable sharing it with people in person, ask for their nice opinion. If they give you pointers, use them. 

    Now with a cat fight like for warrior fan fics I do, you have to feel like that character. Weird right? See, cat battles are more than just a typical fist fight. They are like people with knifes as their finger nails and razor sharp teeth etc. Getting into your character and try to see how your character will fight. Think like your character. If they are arrogant, they might go in on for a head on attack where as a shy cat won't so much, they might use a sneak attack or go in with a group. You also have to think like the attacker too. What are they like, even if they are a minor character or don't even have a name at all and are just there for the battle. You need to see these two get into action.

     Okay, I think I pretty much covered battle scenes. So quick summary, don’t kill these scenes with description otherwise it slows it down. Make sure that you can see the battle even after you have typed it down. And to also make sure that it makes sense and your battle scene isn't random or your character isn't randomly healed after wards (Unless they are like Wolverine or Deadpool, then ignore this).

     Next, I think a scene people have a hard time with including myself is a death scene. Not a death scene of a stupid evil warrior from another city character that the readers knew for five paragraphs or less. I mean a death scene from a character that has meaning to your characters and people.

     Number one rule for these characters is the fact that if you are going to kill these guys off, personally I like to make them personable to the readers so that they want to cry when they die. The best way to do this is to make them a likeable character. (This is for only those characters that are likeable and such and good nice characters. For villains and people readers hate, ignore this paragraph unless you want to read it). Okay so if they die and the beginning of the story, then you have to make them seem how loved they were and such if you’re going with that type of story. But if you’re like me and wait till the mid end or end of the book or even the middle, you want to make them likeable and actually reach out to the readers. This doesn't always mean they have to be happy, perfect and stuff. I mean, they could be a klutz, horrible reader etc. you get it. Flaws that make them likeable and stuff. Or even their backstory too. Do whatever to make them likeable but don't over kill it. If you totally over kill it and they are still nice and nice can be, then there's something wrong. But anyway to continue, I find that these characters make me so sad when they die, even when you expect them to, it’s still sad if it’s well written. (I'll go over this later; I’m moving on to the character death of a villain or person we hate in the next paragraph)