Chapter Thirteen: That's New

Believe it or not, I went to school the next day. I was excited too. I was ready to read people's minds. See how they really felt. I was ready to see Katelyn. She hadn't been talking to me like we usually talk. Ever since her battle with Trina, she's been acting very altered. I was looking forward to try to help out my best fr- what the hell?! Here comes Katelyn, and she looks completely different. I started at her wide-eyed as she approached me, almost certain that it wasn't her, but it was. Her hair was shorter than it has ever been. Her highlights were now lowlights. Her eyes- was she wearing contacts? They were a pretty ash-like colour. She wore dark tints of colors, and Lord help me, she was wearing a glove. I stood, mouth slightly open, starting at my best friend. The vibrant, effervescent girl I knew was now the epitome of emotion.

Hey, Rem.

I looked at her, not a single word would come out of my mouth.

What's the matter? You no likey the new look?

I still couldnt find anything legit to say but "why".

Oh, well you see I'm top dog here, now. I beat Trina's ass and now everyone loves me. I had to change my look with my new rank.

Words flew into my mind, yet. "What are you talking about 'new rank'? You're still you. Your just a girl who got into a scuffle with another girl. Where have you been? Why haven't you been answering my calls?" As soon as I said that, her grin faded and an angry frown drew across her face.

Why cant you just be happy for me?! You've been acting different since you and Kevon got together.

Okay, maybe that was true. I had been acting different, but it wasn't that bad kind of different. I was, in fact, being more positive. Why would my new found positive attitude upset her? Go figure. Either way, she was upset, and she obviously wasn't being upfront about it. Why not read her mind? I wonder what we're having for lunch today.. Well..reading her mind was no help whatsoever. It seemed to me that she was coming down with a case of Special Snowflake Syndrome. I can't believe that she thinks getting in a fight makes her better than anyone else. Now I'm in an awkward position. I have nothing else to say, and I don't know if walking away from her would be a good idea. Good thing I didn't have to make that decision, because after my minute of silence she walked away.

Echo was headed my way, and Katelyn was walking away from me in his direction. Echo looked at her, then did a double take and his mouth dropped. I couldn't see Katelyn's face, but I saw her push his mouth shut. Echo stood still as she walked away.Since he obviously wasn't going to brake his trance and continue walking to me, I approached him. I lightly tapped his shoulder and he looked down at me. He'd gotten reasonably taller.

Was that Katelyn?

I didn't even have to answer for him to make his commentary.

She looks... different.

I couldn't tell if he liked her new look or if he was just shocked by it. It definitely caught us both off guard. He had something on his mind, though, and I was waiting for him to remember what it was. After another minute of silence, I grabbed his arm and started walking to our next class. Soon after be came back to Earth and started talking to me.

So the plan was that- uh...

He stopped talking and shook his head. Then he spoke again.

The plan was that you, Kevon....Katelyn, and I...was to hang out...but..

I looked at him with a- okay yeah, I just looked at him.

Katelyn...she kind of scares me now.. and I'm me. I shouldn't be scared of anything, but have you seen her?