Chapter 9

The orange-red rock side before us had various cracks running throughout it and was so steep that it practically stood straight up. The three caves were on different levels, the one closest to the ground had the smallest of openings and the one highest up was slightly smaller than the one in-between them both.

The walk from the campsite had been neither enjoyable nor miserable. The distance was short enough that it would have been ludicrous to drive (it was only around a mile away) and just long enough to make my feet sear with pain, still not quiet healed from the previous days situation. Not only that but when James had finally seen the art work Ryan had imprinted on his face (his reflection showing on the surface of the river), he blew his top yelling nonstop in uncomprehend able slurs and rubbed his face raw.

I would’ve never thought I’d see James (or anyone) pin down Ryan.

But we all had now.

And it was beautiful.

So we found ourselves staring up at the three possible caves where the map may have been hidden, the map that was our only chance at finding Pandora and completing our quest. With that in mind for the longest time we stood there staring at it blankly because that rock side was just another thing standing in the way of our success. e found ourselves staring up at the three possible caves with the map the map that e (his reflection showing on the surface of

“Dibs on climbing the least!” I yelled breaking our staring contest with the wall.

“Really?” asked Kit her face seeming exhausted.

“My leg still hurts, there is no way in hades I am climbing too much!”

James nodded. “Her getting reinjured would only slow us down, the shorter the climb the better.”

Ryan shrugged. “I’ll take the top one!”

Willow slapped down his hand with force. “So who does go with flightless? She’s still limping. She’s just hiding it. Hey don’t give me that face Ari you know it’s true!”

My eyes were narrowed and I’m sure the look I was giving her was severely unattractive. “Gods  Willow I’m fine! A little limp means nothing!”

Eryx raised an eyebrow “Unless you have to fight, or run for that matter.”

“So, Ryan?” Kit asked looking amongst us, sizing up who was the best fighter and could make up for my handy cap.

James shook his head. “Nope, we’re going into caves therefore the ability to move the earth is a valuable one.”

“Eryx then? And there’s no way I can climb that high so I’ll be taking the cave in the middle.” Kit was gazing up at the highest cave with both fear and amazement in her eyes.

James nodded a near exact look in his eyes. “Same. I’m not good at athletic things and as Willow put it flightless can’t go so high, she needs hades junior to accompany her.”

My eyes were in slits by then as I stared them down. “I don’t need a babysitter and stop calling me that!”

Ryan shook his head. “We’re going in pairs of two anyways, I’m stuck with Willow and you don’t see me whining about it!”

This got him a whack on the head from both Willow and I.  

“Come on,” Eryx said his eyes on the sky and his feet already moving. “We’re burning daylight. And as Ryan has happily informed us if we get caught out here after dark than we may run into some less than happy black bears.”

Irritation still deeply embedded into my mood I climbed into the first opening which was roughly seven feet from the ground. Crawling forward (due to the fact that the cave could only be three feet tall at the most) I didn’t bother waiting for Eryx to get up. The inside of the cave was exceedingly dark and my hands seemed to find every big chunky rock to cut themselves on.  I crawled for a good three minutes before the orange walls around me were illuminated.