THE WALK OF SHAME

A few hours later, a car pulled up and suddenly the house was filled with squeals and laughter.

Two little girls run into the kitchen chased by a blonde man. The girls run and hid behind Caitlyn's legs, their giggles filling the room.

"Hey, you must be Mercedes." The blonde man nodded at her. "Yes and you are?" She asked, extending her hand for a handshake. "Marcus. Pleasure to meet you." He shook her hand.

Marcus then walked over to Caitlyn and kissed her on her lips.

"Grandma, who is this?" One of the girls pointed at Mes and 'whispered' to Rochelle. With a huge smile the grandma announced proudly, "girls, this is your aunt Mercedes."

They both rushed to her side with beaming faces. "I'm Leyla and this is my sister Lilah." One said. She was a tad bit taller than her sister. "Hi, girls," Mes smiled at them.

The day went about great. The food Rochelle and Caitlyn prepared was delicious. They all got to know each other.

Now they were sitting before the tv watching old movies which Rochelle forced everyone to.

As the time neared seven, Mes stood up and excused herself to go home.

"What?! You don't stay here?" Rochelle shrieked. "Um, mom?" Cade spoke. "Mes prefers to live on her own. And to make her happy, I allow it."

"But it's not right." Rochelle insisted. "Look, you'll stay here, okay?"

"Mom, don't pressure her. If she-"

"I pushed your fat head out of my vagina, don't you go against me." Rochelle interrupted her son.

"Okay, maybe we shouldn't have let her drink all that wine." Derrick said placing his hands on his mate's shoulders.

Derrick slowly ushered his giggling mate out of the room.

"Oh, Mes?" Derrick called walking back into the room. "Yeah?" She turned to look at him with furrowed brows. "You are staying. It's too late to be driving." With that he walked out.

"Come on, let's go to bed." Caitlyn gathered the girls and slapped her sleeping mate awake causing Mes to giggle.

Quietly, they all shuffled out the room and up the stairs to their various rooms.

Mes absent-mindedly followed Cade to his room. When the door shut behind her, she snapped out her daze.

"Um, where am I sleeping?" Mes asked, looking around the room. "Here." Cade stated, pulling off his shirt.

Here eyes darted to his well-sculpted body. She couldn't believe she was to sleep by this sexiness tonight. As the thoughts passed through her head, she was snapped back to reality.

"What?" She asked just to make sure she heard right. "You're sleeping here." He said from inside his walk-in.

"But-"

"But nothing. All the other furnished room are being occupied by my family so you sleep here. After all, you're my mate." He walked out in only a pair of pyjama bottoms.

He. Was. Shirtless.

"Go get changed and come to bed." He got into the soft, comfortable king sized bed.

Seeing no point in arguing, she complied and got dressed in one of his shirts and crawled under the sheets.

They stayed on either side of the bed. Cade because he didn't want to scare her away and Mes because she was scared to fall.

And not in the sense of falling off the bed.

After about an hour and half, Cade gave up on his restraint and pulled her to his side, finding comfort in her warmth and scent.

Her heartbeat skyrocketed when he spooned her. She held her breath till she heard his soft snores then she closed her eyes and let sleep take over.

With a muffled yawn, Mes awoke. She looked around trying to figure out which room in her house was this huge and professionally designed.

A mumble from her side drew her attention. She looked to her room side to find a sleeping Cade.

He looked so cute with his lips pouted like that and his brows scrunched like that.

He mumbled again and sighed, snuggling closer to her. She giggled at this side of him.

He awoke to the beautiful sound and smiled at his mate. "Good morning beautiful," he murmured. "Morning," she returned the smile

She shifted, trying to get out of the bed. He held on to her, stopping her. "I have to go home." She gave him a sad smile and headed reluctantly let go of her.

"Let me take a shower then I'll take you home." He pleaded with his eyes.

Her heart lurched and she nodded. He got out of the bed and headed to the bathroom to take a shower.

'no, I can't do this.' She reminded herself and got out of bed.

Staying here and waiting for him will be giving him false hope. She didn't want to break his heart anymore. She didn't want to be with him but that didn't mean she didn't care about him.

With a heavy heart, she changed into her clothes, picked up her shoes and tiptoed out of the room, making sure to make no noise.

The house was filled with silence indicating that everyone was still asleep.

She made her way downstairs quietly, looking around with each step you make sure she wasn't being watched.

Finally the main door came into view. With a relieved smile, she headed towards it.

"Where do you think you're going?" A voice rang out as soon as her hand touched the door handle.

"Rochelle," Mes clutched her chest. "You scared me." She laughed nervously.

Rochelle cocked an eyebrow at Mes' unusual behaviour. "Where are you off to?" She asked again. "Oh, just going home." She answered.

After a long minute of silence, "come with me." Rochelle said and walked away with Mes following.

They went into the kitchen and sat at the counter. "look Mercedes, I know my son isn't the best but he's trying for you. Really he is. After Cade turned twenty and still had not found his mate, he was really bummed. He was so upset that he took to drinking with the notion that the moon goddess didn't find him worthy enough to give him a mate. At twenty three, he accepted that he had no mate and started sleeping around. More than usual." Rochelle said pointedly and Mes cocked a brow. That was definitely hard to believe. Cade was like the king of man whores back when she knew him.

"But then he met you and since then, he hasn't been with any other woman and he's been smiling more and I haven't gotten any calls from him at night to tell me what nightclub he's in for me to send someone to come get him because he's drunk. You've made him better Mes, please don't let him go back to being miserable." Rochelle reached for her hand in a pleading manner.

Message stared at the woman before her and made up her mind. She offered Rochelle a small smile that gave away nothing, got up and left.

Rochelle got up and started with breakfast when she heard Mes drive away.

*******

"Mom, mom have you seen Mes?" Cade rushed into the kitchen in nothing but sweats." She left." Rochelle divulged and turned back to the eggs she was frying. "What? When? I was supposed to drive her." he was frantic. "A while ago." Rochelle said and rushed to the toaster when it dinged. "Without a goodbye?" he dropped onto a stool. "Well, to me.  I was the only one awake. She didn't want to disturb your sleep."

Breakfast was a quiet affair. Even the girls who were usually chatty and giggly were quiet. They knew something was wrong. And it probably had to do with aunt Mes because she wasn't at the table.

After breakfast, Caitlyn stayed behind to do the dishes with Rochelle.

"Mom,  what happened? Where is Mercedes?" Cait asked, drying her hands on a napkin. "She's making one of the biggest decisions in her life." Rochelle smiled and walked away from her confused daughter.