Chapter 14

Inauguration Day
January 20, 1961

   It was a cold morning in D.C. Snow had fallen the night before, threatening to cancel the parade. The skies had cleared; however, there was still eight inches of snow on the ground. Thanks to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, the parade route was cleared. It was a cold one, but according to Jack, it was worth it.
   The Inauguration ceremony went well, despite the cold. Soon it was time for Jack to take the oath of office. He took of his overcoat.
   "Jack, what are you doing? It's 20 degrees out here!" Jackie quietly scolded him.
   "It looks unprofessional. I'll be fine." He replied.
   "You'll get sick!" Jackie told him. He shook his head and walked to the podium. Jackie shrugged, not wanting to deal with a sick John Kennedy.
   Chief Justice Earl  Warren administered the oath of office. Jack repeated after him, with his hand on their family bible.
   "So help me God." Jack finished with a smile. Before continuing onto his Inaugural Address, he looked over at Jackie and smiled, mouthing,
   "I love you."
   Jackie smiled back and replied, "Love you too, darling."
   Jack began his speech addressing nearly everyone, ending with his fellow citizens. He spoke with hope and ambition for the United States.
"... here on earth God's work must truly be our own." The crowd erupted into cheers and chanted,
"Kennedy! Kennedy!" It was over, Jack had become the youngest and first Catholic President of the United States.
Jack walked over to Jackie and grabbed her hand. They went inside the Capitol before they left for the White House. Jackie wrapped him in a hug after they had some privacy.
"Congratulations, President Kennedy," Jackie said with a wry smile.
"Jackie, that sounds weird," Jack groaned.
"Get used to it big shot!" Jackie told him. Jack leaned in for a kiss that would be the first of many to get interrupted by Bobby.
"Jack! Congrats-s-ss..." Bobby's voice faded out. "Sorry."
"Bobby, go away." Jack snapped at him. Jackie was trying not to laugh at them. "I don't do this to you and Ethel," he snapped again.
   "I'm also not the President of the United States." Bobby said with a smile. Jack rolled his eyes. "It's time to head to the White House."
   "That's where the fun will be." Jackie winked as she whispered in Jack's ear. Jack gave her a huge grin.

   They made their way to the White House in the parade that lasted three hours. Finally, they got there.
   "Please welcome the President of the United States and Mrs. John F. Kennedy!" a man announced over the loudspeaker. The doors opened and Jack and Jackie walked in while "Hail to the Chief" played.
   "Why so many people?" Jackie asked. Jack shrugged.
   "They're probably here to see you," Jack teased.
   "Yeah sure," Jackie replied as she rolled her eyes. They took their seats. Dinner was served shortly after. Soon, it was time for the dance to begin.
Prior to the ball, Jack spoke with Frank to arrange a special song to be played; I Married an Angel.
   "May I have this dance?" Jack asked as he held his hand out for Jackie. She gladly took it.
   "Oh Jack! This is wonderful!" Jackie was elated. She followed Jack as he led her to the dance floor. Memories of their wedding day came flooding back to both of them. They danced until the song was over.
   "Jack, I'm not feeling very well, I'm going up to the residence." Jackie said. Her face was pale, she was weak.
   "Alright, kid. I'll be up later. I love you." Jack gave her a reassuring smile. She nodded and replied,
   "Love you too, darling." Jackie walked out to the hallway with Clint following her. He could tell she wasn't well.
   "Mrs. Kennedy, are you alright?" He asked worriedly. Jackie nodded.
   "I think so. I'm just so tired and weak still from having John-John. I mustn't push myself."
   "Yes ma'am," Clint replied. "If there is anything I can do, let me know."
   Jackie began her ascent up the stairs; Clint was right behind her. She started walking slower with each step.
   "Mrs. Kennedy?"
   "I'm fine, Mr. Hill." Jackie turned and gave him a look. Still, her face was pale. She took another step, and fell backwards.
   "Mrs Kennedy!" Clint yelled as he caught her. Jackie didn't respond.