Chapter 10

The Republicans had nominated their candidates; Vice President Richard M. Nixon for president and former senator Henry Cabot Lodge Jr. of Massachusetts. Jack and Nixon participated in four debates. Jack used his Kennedy charm and won them. It seemed to be a big boost, but no one would know how big until Election Day.

Tuesday, November 8, 1960
Election Day
   Jack and the campaign team were at the makeshift campaign headquarters at the main house at the Kennedy Compound in Hyannis Port. They started at six o'clock and planned to work all day long. Phones were ringing like crazy. People on the team would shout things like, "We won Massachusetts!" They were stressed, but they knew it was worth it. Finally evening came and Jackie had come to the campaign headquarters to be with Jack.
   "Hey Jackie!" Bob yelled as she walked in. Jack decided he'd hide around the corner and try to scare her. Bobby had saw him and muttered to Jackie, "Slowly walk around the corner and jump out at Jack. He's behind the plant."
   "Okay," Jackie whispered. She slowly walked over by where Jack was. "Boo!" She shouted as she wrapped him in a hug. Jack hugged her back and said,
   "Let me guess, this was Bobby's idea?" Jackie nodded and kissed him on the cheek.
   "I missed you, Bunny." Jackie smiled.
   "I missed you too. How has your day been?" Jack asked.
   "Wonderful. Yours?"
   "Stressful. It'll be better with you here," Jack winked mischievously. Bobby ran over to the lovebirds,
   "Um Jack?"
   "What the hell do you want Bobby?" Jack was very frustrated.
   "Look out the window." Bobby said as he pointed out the window that gave a clear view to Jack and Jackie.
   "Damn it why do they have to be everywhere?" Jack questioned about the paparazzi. Bob went and shut the curtains. The three walked into the living room area of the house and sat down and turned on the TV.  The election returns were on. They sat for quite a while.
   Around 8:00 a lot of the Kennedy clan showed up; Ted, Jean, Joan, Stephen, Ethel, Pat, Peter, Eunice, and Sarge. It was still a long time until they saw the results, or so they thought.
   A phone rang and one of the workers answered it. "Jack, it's for you."
   "Alright," he said as he stood up and walked to the phone.
   "Jack Kennedy," he answered.
   "Hello, Jack." A very familiar voice said. Jack knew the voice, soon it continued. "This is Richard Nixon."
   "Hi! How are you doing today." Jack asked trying to hide his smugness.
   "I just wanted to ask if you were watching all the election stuff on TV."
   "Why yes, I am with my family."
   "All I ask is that you stay tuned for about the next hour."
   "Alright will do. Is there a reason why?"
   "You'll find out."
   "Ok. Have a goodnight, Richard."
   "You too, Jack."
   They both hung up. Jack walked back into the living room.
   "Who was it?" Jean asked.
   "Nixon." Jack replied.
   "What did he want?" Peter said, confused.
   "He asked if I was watching the election on the television and said to watch for about the next hour."
   "Why do you need to do that?" Ethel questioned him.
   "He told me that I'd find out." Jack said.
   "Tricky Dick." Ted chuckled. The whole family laughed.
    "What a terrible name!" Jackie said. They all continued in laughter before Joan interrupted,
"Hey, look." She said as she pointed the the TV. It flashed the words, "Important News Flash". Not long after, Nixon came on the screen.
"Good evening fellow Americans. I am here to congratulate Senator John F. Kennedy on a wonderful campaign. Through deep thought and discussion, I have decided to concede the election to Senator- now President Kennedy."
"WE DID IT!" Bobby yelled as loud as he could. Jackie kissed Jack while everyone cheered and hugged. Jack told everyone to get a drink and he'd make a toast.
"I'd like to thank you all for your hard work. I couldn't have done it without you. To Bobby, thank you for stepping in and being a phenomenal campaign manager and keeping me calm. I don't thank you for stressing me out on all the campaign trips." Everyone chuckled. "And to my beautiful wife, Jackie, thank you for always being supportive and putting up with me."
"Awwwwe," Teddy said childishly. Jack playfully glared at him.
"Here's to eight years in the White House!" Everyone clanked glasses and drank. After a while of partying, everyone went to their houses and went to bed. Tomorrow would be action-packed with interviews, pictures, and who knows what else.