Chapter 2

January 1, 1960 (the following morning)

It was eight-thirty in the morning. Jack had just got up and went to take a hot bath. He wasn't sure what it was about a hot bath but it soothed his aching back muscles. Jackie was still sleeping peacefully.
Jack got out of the bath and finished getting dressed. Since most of the family partied hard, Jack knew he could dress casually. He put on a pair of khakis and an old Harvard sweatshirt. It was nine thirty when he was ready to go. He quietly sat down on the bed and stared at Jackie.
"God you're hot, even when you sleep." Jack said in his head, or at least he thought he did...
"That's a lovely way to wake up your wife," Jackie told him sarcastically as she woke up. By now, Jack had realized what happened.
"Damn. I didn't think I said that out loud. But hey, at least I'm telling the truth." He replied. Jackie got up and began getting ready. Jackie put on a pair of jodhpurs and a white scoop neck t-shirt. The couple then went to Caroline's room.
"Buttons, sweetie," Jack quietly called to Caroline, "it's time to get up." As Caroline began to stir, Jackie picked her up out of her crib and got her dressed.
         Soon, it was ten fifteen and Jack, Jackie, and Caroline made their way over to the main house. Jack told Jackie many times that you were never, never late to on of Rose Kennedy's meals. To fix brunch, Rose had been up since seven o'clock that morning.
           They walked in and greeted everyone that was there. "Where's Bobby?" Jack asked.
           "Taking his own sweet time, as usual." Ted replied. He hadn't realized that Bobby, Ethel, and their herd of seven kids had walked in.
"Would you like to repeat that, tough guy?" Bobby questioned standing behind Ted. Bobby was making an attempt to look like he was big, despite being two inches shorter than Ted.
"Well hello, Bobby. I'm so glad you could make it." Ted said in a cheeky voice.
"Shut up, Ted."
The family took their seats at the table as Rose and Eunice placed the food on the table.
"Joe would you lead us in prayer please?" Rose asked.
"Of course Rosie." Joe replied.
Joe started as everyone joined in,
"In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen. Bless us oh Lord and these Thy gifts which were brought to receive from Thy bounty. Through Christ our Lord. Amen. In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen."
The family began filling their plates, children first.
"Mother, if this tastes as good as it looks, I might have to eat it all." Jack sweetly told his mom.
"Thank you, dear." Rose replied. They all dug in. Rose fixed her famous (within the family) breakfast casserole. There was ham, egg, cheese, and other items she won't tell anyone. She had also made fruit salad and some other things. It got very quiet as everyone enjoyed their food.
Jack leaned over to Jackie and whispered in her ear,
"Is this the time?"
"Go for it." Jackie whispered back with a smile.
Slowly, Jack stood up and addressed his family,
"As you all know, Dad has been riding me about running for president. I have came to my decision."
Everyone chuckled before quickly quieting down and focusing back on Jack. Jack looked down at Jackie. She gave him a smile of reassurance.
"Well, quit making us wait. Tell us already!" Pat hollered playfully.
"Yes Jack, do tell." Joe Sr. Said with a grin. Jack took a deep breath,
"I have decided to run for president of the United States of America!" He was so happy. The room erupted into cheers. Joe Sr. walked over to his eldest living son,
"I'm very proud of you, Jack." He shook his hand.
"Thank you, dad." Jack replied. Jack sat back down and Jackie gave him a quick kiss on the cheek.
"I love you Jack!" Jackie told him. He mouthed back,
"Love you too."
The family was very happy. Everyone went outside to play a game of touch football. All of the siblings and their spouses played. Jack and Bobby had their own teams. On Jack's team was Jackie, Ted, Jean, Sarge, and Ethel. Eunice, Stephen, Peter, Joan, and Pat were on Bobby's team. They flipped to see who got the ball first. Bobby's team "received" in other words, they got the ball first.
              Ethel always guarded Bobby. "Down, set, hut!" Bobby yelled. His team ran down the field to get open; however, Team Jack's defense was too good. Bobby had to run it.
              "Come at me, Kennedy!" Ethel taunted. Bobby tried to run the ball.
              "Oh please Ethy," Bobby replied. As he ran past her, she tackled him. "Hey! This is touch football. Hear that? Touch. T-O-U-C-H!" He whined.
              "Give it a rest!" Jack hollered.
              "Quit being a wimp!" Pat teased. Bobby slowly got up.
              "Too much for ya?" Ethel asked Bobby.
              "No." Bobby pouted. He tried not to show it but his pride was hurt. Bad. 
               After another hour or so of playing, they called it a game. They didn't keep score, but according to Jack, his team won by a lot. They went inside and enjoyed the rest of the day. Rose had fixed supper that night. At about 9:30 they all went home. 
                 Unbeknownst to anyone but Bobby and Jackie, Jack had arranged a time to announce his intention to run for president the next day. Tomorrow would be a big day, they needed rest.