Chapter 2

Hi to anyone reading this...hopefully someone will lol

I would really love any constructive feedback, it would be much appreciated :)

Now, on with the show......lol

**************************************************************************************************************

Gabriel's POV

Edmund and I had known Elizabeth for many years and it came as no surprise to me when Edmund finally declared his feelings towards Lady Elizabeth. From the moment Edmund had laid eyes on her as a young man, I saw that he was smitten. Of course he kept his feelings to himself and as his closest friend I was privy to how he felt about her.

I had travelled long into the night to reach Edmunds country estate. I had sent word of my arrival a week before so he knew when to expect me. As a wonderful host I knew that he would be awake and awaiting my arrival. I really should have stopped at an inn overnight and sent word of my lateness but I was so desperate to get to my destination that I just pushed on through.  

Everything had fallen into a neat bundle for me; my new inheritance, my appointment with the solicitor who was in charge of the handling of the will and my closest friends wedding. All of these things had been on hold waiting for me to return from abroad. I was grateful to Edmund that he declared that he would wait for me so that I could serve as witness to his union.

After greeting each other with many slaps on the back, exclaiming how the other was looking a bit long in the tooth and some more good hearted ribbing, both of us were so tired we almost fell asleep where we sat.

"Come on my good man, let's drag ourselves off to bed and resume this conversation when the sun's higher in the sky." Yawned Edmund, scratching the back of his head looking out at the dawn.

I smiled "Agreed, I haven't ridden in so long and now I am feeling every mile from my journey."

"Well, sleep till whenever you feel like and I'll make sure no one disturbs you in the morning. It was madness to jump from ship to horse my friend!" Edmund exclaimed.

"I know, I know. But you have already put your wedding off long enough waiting for me. I'll be good as new in the morning, I swear." I replied.

Edmund and I trudged upstairs and he showed me to my old guest quarters.

"See you in the morning." He said as he turned and gave me a slow wave over his shoulder.

I looked at the expansive bed with complete longing as I walked over to the winged back chair and sat down to pull off my boots. As soon as they were off I walked over to the bed and thought to lie down for just a minute before changing into my night gown, that's as far as I got before drifting off to sleep.

I groaned and opened my eyes. Oh blast it, not only have I slept in my clothes, but my legs are hanging off the side of the bed. I had to laugh at my situation; this proves just how tired I was when I came into the room.

Rubbing my hands over my tired eyes I stumbled towards the bowl of fresh water in my room. As I scooped up the water to splash my face, I realised that it had been sitting here for quite a long time, the water was at room temperature but it did the job and I felt much more alert.

My valet, Henry, must have been up and about early this morning, as all of my clothes had been pulled out of my trunk and put away. Grabbing my trousers, I started to pull them up only to hear a soft knock at the door.

"Good morning my Lord, how did you sleep?" enquired Henry.

I smirked at him and replied "Like the dead."

Henry looked at the floor trying not to grin "Very good my Lord, shall I fetch the rest of your clothing?"

"Ah, yes, I suppose I really should be dressed before I go down to break my fast" I laughed.

I may not have had the most comfortable sleep but being here in my oldest friends house made me feel like all was right again in the world.

"So tell me, how is the lovely Lady Elizabeth. I feel like it's been an age since I last saw her." I asked Edmund over our breakfast.

Edmund blushed and looked away from my eyes "She's wonderful, Gabriel, she is everything that I could have hoped for. She's witty, gay, kind and I cannot wait until she comes to live here."

"Well Edmund, I wish I could say that you have inspired me to go on a hunt for a future bride, but alas, I feel that I could never claim one that would measure up to the standard that Elizabeth has set." I smiled at him.

"She is perfection in my eyes." He confided.

I felt a pang of jealousy for a moment and then chided myself. Marriage is never going to be for you Gabriel, I thought to myself. You could never be tied down to one place, let alone one woman for the rest of your life.

As we rose from the dining table after eating our fill of roast beef and hot rolls washed down with cups of strong tea, we discussed what Edmund had planned for our day.

"I have arranged to visit with Elizabeth this afternoon, she has no idea that you were arriving sooner than originally planned. She'll be so pleased to see you, I was starting to think that maybe she would throw me aside for you, had you told her to!" Edmund chuckled.

I laughed "No Edmund, I could not imagine a better fit than you and Elizabeth. It was always meant to be, I had no hope once you two looked at each other."

"I haven't seen her for more than seven days now, maybe she is starting to think that I have forgotten all about her and Rachel." He chuckled.

"Rachel?" I asked, "Is that a new friend of hers?"

"No, not at all." He replied pulling at his collar. "Elizabeth and Rachel have known each other their whole lives. Rachel is staying with her for a while"

Edmund seemed uncomfortable for some reason and I decided to let the issue drop. I'll be seeing Elizabeth later in the day, maybe there is a reason that Edmund is being evasive.

We had walked outside and it was a fair English summer's day. The sun was out and the air was crisp. I breathed in and thought, ah home, with a smile.

Slowly we walked to the stables and spoke to the groom about our horses. My bonny Hackney horse had been watered and fed; I slipped her a piece of apple that I had brought from the breakfast table for her. She was my pride and joy, we had travelled a lot together over the past couple of years and she held all of my secrets. "Hello, my lovely girl." I said as I rubbed her nose.

I hadn't heard Edmund come up behind me until he let out a very loud snort. "We need to find you a nice wife, I think." He smirked. "You are starting to worry me with your romantic speech towards your poor horse."

I rolled my eyes and told my Betsy "Don't worry girl, he is just jealous that he doesn't have a fine filly such as yourself." I laughed.

For the rest of the morning, we walked about the estate while Edmund pointed out some new improvements he had made since becoming Earl when his Father passed on.