Chapter 3

Gabriel's POV

On our ride over to Elizabeth's home that afternoon I realised that I hadn't asked about Elizabeth's mother and father.

"How are the Earl and Countess Hobbs?" I asked Edmund.

"They are still up north visiting with the new babe of William and Amelia." He smiled.

William is Elizabeth's eldest brother, who is married and now has two children. They lived in the Hobbs house in Lancashire. I have always liked Elizabeth's three brothers, they may have been loud when they are all together, but they were also three of the nicest gentlemen that I had come across.

"Tell me, what day will the wedding be held?" I enquired.

"It will be held on the 6th of July. The Earl and Countess will be back from meeting their new Grandson and Elizabeth's brothers will also be attending, it will be a wonderful reunion for them all." He told me.

Our ride took no time at all, and I realised with a start that we were already at Wicklow House. Greeting their groom, I relinquished my Betsy to him and told him to take very good care of her.

Edmund laughed at me "My goodness, that is a horse! Not you're first born!"

I tried to look annoyed at him, but of course he saw straight through me. "As your oldest friend, I feel it my duty to tell you that you are treating that horse better than most people treat their servants." He teased me

"Well, she has been my companion for too long to start treating her differently now, just because you're jealous." I teased back.

We were greeted at the door by the Earl's young page and shown into the drawing room.

Momentarily, the Hobb's footman came in with a tray of afternoon tea and Edmund and I sat down to eat and drink. We knew that Elizabeth would keep us waiting; the Lady had no idea about the concept of time.

As I was going to come into contact with Elizabeth's friend at some point, I thought it best to bring up the subject of this Rachel before being introduced.

"Tell me Edmund, what of this Rachel? Have we been introduced before?" I asked, pretending to be interested in an invisible piece of lint on my trousers.

I noticed that Edmund squirmed in his chair and his hand automatically went to his high collar, something that I knew Edmund did when he was caught in awkward situations.

He cleared his throat "Uh, well I am not sure if you have met Rachel before, Gabriel." He laughed awkwardly.

I frowned "Edmund Cooper, stop stalling. We have not just been introduced for the first time; I know you as well as I know myself. Tell me what the situation is."

Edmund heaved a loud sigh and stood up, pacing back and forth in front of me.

"For God's sake man! You are making me feel as if I'm at sea, sit down or stand still!" I exclaimed.

"Edmund, the issue is this," he began, "I think you have met Rachel before, when you were both children. Her Father is, I mean was, Earl Peterson..."

Of all of the things that Edmund could have said then, this would have been the last one on my list.

"Are you sure..?" I bit out.

"Gabriel, I am being truthful." He spluttered.

"I'm sorry Edmund," I began, "that was wrong of me, please I beg of your forgiveness."

"Of course, and I'm sorry that I didn't tell you sooner." He started. "The thing is, you see, Rachel doesn't know about you, and Elizabeth didn't want to be the one to break it to her. She is very fragile at the moment Gabriel, it would do no good to reveal who you are to her at this point in time." He said sadly.