Chapter 4

"Is everybody here?" someone asked.

"Yes, let's begin." another said. "Everyone present knows the threat, correct?"

There were murmurs of agreement. "Now we must find out how to eliminate it without the humans discovering us." the same merman said.

I shivered. I heard stories of the humans. Terrifying creatures with two legs- who lived on land. They were trying to take over the world. We've been hiding from them for centuries.

"I doubt this is even true. It is most likely a rumor that someone spread to scare childfish."A low-voiced merman said. "I mean, it is exactly as we've feared- most likely a coincidence."

A mermaid spoke up. "I assure you, that creature is very real." she said. Creature? 

So she must be a witness to the "threat" they were talking about.

"Do you have any evidence, Mrs. Redfin?" the low-voiced one asked.

"Why, my own two eyes, that's what! I am not just making this up to frighten merfolk or childfish- I swear it is real, on my life!" she cried. 

Somefish were mumbling about whether they thought the witness was lying or telling the truth. The mumbles grew louder, and soon after the whole room was arguing.

"She is right! We must act immediatly!"

"How do you know? She could be acting! We don't even know what this 'creature' is!"

As tensions grew, my heart hungered more for information. What was this threat? I wanted to scream. Conveniently, I found out a few seconds later.

"It's a sea monster!" someone cried.