Chapter 2

I cringed helplessly, and closed my eyes. But my eyes merely reflected reality. I saw the horrendous creature approach... but it never reached me. 

I squinted, wondering what had happened, but all I saw was dark water. 

Then I slowly widened my eyes as a heroic figure courageously fought off the beast. He had sandy blonde hair that flew handsomely off of him as he dodged the attacks and made a few of his own. Finally, the monster fled, knowing that he couldn't win this battle.

The figure turned around and smiled at me. A warm, friendly smile that complemented his beautiful ocean-blue eyes...

"Are you ok, Miss?" he asked.

"Uhh... ummm..." I stammered.

"Miss?" 

I snapped myself out of my daze.

"Oh, I'm.. uh my name is Arista." I responded nervously.

He smiled an awkward smile. "Arista... that's a pretty name..."

Then he said, "Sorry, Miss- I did not want to take too much of your time."

"Oh! No, please don't go. You saved my life! You deserve to stay." I answered.

"Sorry, Miss. It's standard protocol. I must be going. Good day." He bowed and swam away.

I looked after him dreamily... but then realized what he said. Standard protocol. That meant he was a soldier, and could never love me.