Chapter 11: But Rejoices With the Truth.

"Veritas liberabit vos."

-

"It's not easy, but t-the graphologist traced that the handwriting of this letter belongs to a foreigner." There was a reasonable panic in her eyes as she paled. "Monsieur Neuvillette, they said that this handwriting matches only one person; [Name] [Surname], a visitor from Sumeru."

"What?!" Paimon was the first to react, screeching as her eyes widened.

"I may not know [Name] that much, but I honestly doubt they would do that." Lumine quietly said, her golden eyes then shifted to him.

Neuvillette does not know what kind of expression he wore, nor does he care at the moment, but the look on the Traveller's face, as if she saw him protruding another head, tells him as much.

(So, that's how they planned to pin him down, now? By using you as bait?)

"-How brave of them," he calmly said, taking the threat letter from Sedene's hand with a grateful nod. He carefully folded it then tucked it in his suit pocket.

"Whoever framed [Name] have Paimon's condolences," he heard the fairy fearfully muttered to her companion. "You know what, nevermind. They all deserve whatever punishment Monsieur Neuvillette will mete to them."

"True." Lumine whispered back. "He has that really scary expression right now."

He graciously ignored their comments, turning to Sedene with a small smile, patting her head. "I have found more leads. Come, we shall go back to the Palais to review the official case files once more."

"Wait a moment, Monsieur!" The Melusine pleaded, hesitantly latching onto his robes before he could take a step forward. "Please, I beg you to think about this more thoroughly! I-I'm sure Miss [Name]...she-she wouldn't do something so nefarious!"

The sheer panic on Sedene's expression made him realise that they might've mistook his actions and words negatively. Ah, he really does need to improve showing his intentions more openly without others misunderstanding his words.

He took repeated deep breaths, trying to calm the raging storm deep within his heart as he clenched his gloved hand to his cane. "Be at ease, Sedene. I also do not believe [Name] holds any grudge towards Kiara, let alone be involved in some criminal activities."

"T-Then...!"

"Like I said, I found reliable information in the Fountain of Lucine regarding our perpetrators. We'll go back to the Palais to review the smuggling cases-that way, we'll be able to clear [Name] from the suspect's list."

"Tell us that in advance, why don't you!" Paimon snapped angrily as they began to walk back to ride an Aquabus. "You gave Paimon the fright!"

"I really thought you'd believe the evidence more." The Traveller remarked on his side.

"My apologies," he cleared his throat. "But sufficient to say that this 'evidence' is not simply enough to declare [Name] guilty. Penmanship itself could easily be forged, and besides," he permitted a scoff, "the timing is too impeccable."

"What do you mean?" Lumine frowned.

"Whoever framed [Name] must be the same person who sent Kiara the threat letter." He explained plainly. "While I did not name my friendship with her in public, I didn't try to actively hide it either. Although if they think foolishly that the same strategy will work on me twice, their capacity for mental thinking has most likely and unfortunately dissolved in the Primordial Seawater."

"The smuggling case was solved by the joint forces of the Gardes and Marechaussee Phantom...This is the one." Neuvillette held out a pile of documents on his desk with narrowed eyes. "The list of involved suspects should be...Ah, found it."