Chapter 13

Within a few hours, Janette's mind was made up.

She woke up, still in the room at the top of the astronomy tower. Trevin was still there; they hadn't spoken a word to each other since their argument a few hours earlier.

Janette was able to see clearly, but it was evident that the school was shut down and it would continue to remain closed until the problems in Gillamoor Village were resolved.

She searched the room, eventually discovering a bookshelf that was next to what could have passed for a cabinet. She picked up the first book that she saw; the book was ten and a half inches long, ten and a half inches wide, and an inch and a half thick. It was bound in sea blue canvas and in good shape. Janette opened the book and it read, "Here is the final testimony of Linus Lennox:

I am writing what I believe will be the last entry in this sad story of the history of the Lennox family. Knowing that I am the last male Lennox, since I have failed to produce a son, I wish to impart what wisdom I have to my only remaining heir, Janette.

"I will say that the night that I stole the Book of Magic was exciting, and yet it is an act of vengeance. My father and grandfather were slain by the allies of those witches and it is my solemn duty to hunt down the members of the Bradshaw, McGowan, and Pangborn families and destroy them all, down to the last child. I have personally slain Martin Pangborn and his sons, but there was one son that escaped. As for Martin's wife, Amanda, I made sure that she was sent to Australia with orders to marry the first man who laid eyes on her. I was among those who slew many members of the Bradshaw and McGowan families.

"What I want Janette to learn was that she came from the Trant and Lennox families, two families that lost several of its members to witchcraft. She must learn that Vanessa Trant was killed by men who had no case or concern for the fact that she was a little girl. For this and many other things, which includes the deaths of my father and grandfather, I denounce the three wicked families and the Stormfield clan, who brought upon the answer of God by using magic to wreck the village of Gillamoor. I also place a curse of death on them all, even to the last of their children, and hope that one day, Janette would make them all pay for their family's wickedness."

Janette set the book aside and gasped; there had been a good reason why she met and partially befriended Malinda Bradshaw and Silas McGowan; she was to hunt them down and destroy them before they could finish their great-great-grandfathers' crimes against Gillamoor Village. She had no idea of who they were or where they came from until they followed her to Gamaris Academy.

Had I stayed in Gillamoor and I found this out, then I probably would have poisoned them and Garrett Pangborn and be done with it, Janette thought to herself as she stood up and paced the room. There would be no need for this crisis that is happening right now.

Just then, Trevin woke up and noticed her. He said, "Why do you wander around the place?"

"I know what's going on here," said Janette. Trevin stared at her. "The Stormfield Clan is beginning to reawaken from their long slumber. They have not been seen in the village for 100 years. I wonder if they will find out that the descendant of their biggest enemy is still alive. If they know about me, then I'm in big trouble. Unless…"

Janette then thought about a spell that she had recently learned, a spell that could erase certain memories from a person. She had tried it on herself, then Groundsel had her learn to take memories to a person who had lost their memories.

She wondered if she could erase the memories of her from the minds of Malinda and Silas; there was no need for them to get into any trouble on her account.