Chapter 8

That evening, a sense of excitement swept throughout the school. Elves and fairies were coming to Gamaris Academy and the students were very excited to see their future classmates. Everyone was in the Grand Hall, all talking about the new students and what they expected from the students. Janette wondered what that would mean for her situation now. She also wondered if there were other creatures out there that she didn't know about.

"Of course there are other creatures out there," Harry said to her. "There are vampires, werewolves, and other creatures that we don't know about. Most of them are in Grimsby."

"And they usually show up here on Halloween," said Dominick.

Janette nodded, knowing that she had seen vampires and werewolves while she was still in Gillamoor. She recalled Brendan Ferris, a bully who used to scare the kids in Bethsaida by telling stories about how vampires and werewolves would raid the orphanages and steal children. Janette didn't believe any of the stories; she assumed that Brendan was full of crap.

She was right, in any case.

Anyway, Janette said, "So, what's the point of the Elves and Fairies coming here?"

"Beats me,” said Tristan. "This is my first year in Gamaris after all."

Janette nodded, but there was a huge part of her that wondered about what the Elves and Fairies were really like. She had read scores of fantasy books and had some concluded that Elves and Fairies were just mischievous creatures that lives in the forests and used their magic to cause mischief among humans.

But nothing in the world had prepared her for this.

A large group of Elves and Fairies walked into the Grand Hall. The students all stopped talking as they turned to stare at the newcomers. The Elves were tall and mostly dark-skinned, dark-haired, and have dark brown eyes, although some of them were fair-haired and have light-colored eyes. They reproduce slowly, often having a child every 20 years. Their magical practices tend to focus on light magic. They are exceptionally good at divine magic. They worshipped a pantheon of gods and goddesses that are not unlike the gods and goddesses of Greek Mythology. Their government is a feudal system, and they live in communities in the forests of England.

As for the Fairies, they are white-skinned, yellow-haired, and have orange eyes. They interbreed easily with other species. They also have two wings, which are kept folded most of the time. Their magical practices tend to focus on elemental magic, even though they are known to practice divination, light magic, and natural magic. They believed the powers that be are intimately involved in their lives. Their government is a magiocracy. They tend to be mistrusted by non-magical humans - but no one can say why.

The headmaster stared at the twenty Elves and the thirty Fairies that came into the grand hall. He said to them, "Hello, and welcome to Gamaris Academy of Alchemy & Magic. I trust that you all know the procedures that the school has in place for you?"

"We do," said an Elf named Nevarth Spruce, who was the leader of the Elves.

"And what about us?" said a Fairy named Berline Starwing, who led the fairies. "Where do we stay?"

"You will stay in the cabins that are located next to the greenhouse," said Headmaster Baynard. "The Elves will stay in the cabins in the woods. But before we can take you to your new homes, we must introduce you to the students who are attending this school."

Janette frowned, knowing that another part of her childhood began to leak out like water spilling from a leaky cup. She had been lied to once again. The Elves and Fairies stared at her as they walked by, none of them saying anything to her. The last thing that she wanted was to be singled out of the group.