Chapter 12

The next day was a very rare day, a day that classes seemed to be shorter than usual. Janette found herself whizzing through her classes, even ignoring Professor Waldron and his false praises. She endured a grueling tutoring session with Groundsel. Janette was glad when school ended and the students were released from classes.

She went to her dorm and collapsed on her bed. Carla, Nelda, and Mimi would be returning to the dorm soon, but Janette wanted to be alone right now.

Janette pulled out her notebook and wrote down, "My family is even more complex than I thought. My mother's family is rich and powerful, but they are also manipulating and controlling. My father's family was built on tragedy and fear, but they are strong, God-fearing people who do not stand for any wickedness. Father Wooten sent me a letter detailing my father's family history, and I now realize why my father did what he did and why he sent me to Bethsaida. His ancestress had lost her family to a clan of witches and their human allies. I wonder who the allies are and I will do some research to find out who they are and eliminate them. It won't matter who they are; I will show them no mercy at all."

She stood up as the other girls came into the room. Mimi said, "Janette, they want us all in the Grand Hall. Headmaster Baynard has something important to tell us."

Janette nodded and they all went into the Grand Hall. The Elves were also there, but the Fairies weren't. Scores of students and teachers crowded into the Grand Hall, all searching for seats. Janette and the other girls could only stand by the north wall, where Trevin and his friends were. As soon as the crowd was settled, the headmaster made a huge announcement.

"It has come to our attention that the Gray Witch's clan is awakening," said the headmaster. The crowd gasped in horror. "You know who the Gray Witch is and you knew what she had done. She and her clan had tried to take over the magical world and even caused untold damage to the non-magical world. Had it not been for a brave man named Linus Lennox who stole the Book of Magic, we would have been under the thumb of the Graylight clan.

"But he did not do this on his own volition; his own family had dealings with witches as well. Did you know that the Stormfield clan nearly destroyed the village of Gillamoor and killed a little girl? The girl's aunt was the ancestress of Linus Lennox and through him, the ancestress of Janette Lennox."

Janette gasped in shock at what she was hearing. She was the great-great-grandaughter of Glady Trant and Damian Lennox. The Lennox family was involved in magic, and they were among those who had slain the members of the traitorous Bradshaw, McGowan, and Pangborn families. She began to wonder of Malinda and Silas were related to the other Bradshaws and McGowans.

If that were true, then everything that she knew about them were lies.

Headmaster Baynard continued, "Although the villagers and Spellcasters had wiped out most of the members of the Bradshaw, McGowan, and Pangborn families and the Graylight clan, some of them dared to survive and thrive under the noses of the council and run around the village, unchecked and unchallenged by the Spellcasters. But now rumors are abound that the Spellcasters who fled are slowly making their return to Gillamoor.

"I have received word from the priest at the Bethsaida Chapel about the arrest and detainment of the last generation of the Bradshaw, McGowan, and Pangborn families, who had dared to attend his school and attend worship services at his church. The Stormfield clan is resurfacing and if they decide to join with the Graylight clan, we may not be able to stop them.

"Therefore, I have a new set of rules for you to follow: no one is to venture off into the woods at any time. The Elves and Fairies are currently being relocated to the buildings just off the right of the courtyard. Also, no one will be allowed into the fields behind the castle." Here, everyone groaned at the news. "I know that this is hard for you to hear," said the headmaster, "but we must make up these rules for your own safety."