Chapter 4

“Out of all the shenanigans that I had to put up with during my tenure as headmaster of this school, this is the worst of all of them,” said Headmaster Baynard as he stared at Malinda and Silas. They and Janette were brought into the headmaster’s office after one of Janette’s dorm mates had caught Malinda and Silas hiding in the closet of Janette’s dorm. "I never thought I'd see the day when two people deliberately break into my school. Plus, the fact that you followed Janette here shows much to be desired. However, that's not why I'm angry."

He stared at Janette, who was standing in a corner of his office and said, "This is the straw that broke the camel's back, isn't it? Why couldn't you have just left Janette alone and allow her to fulfill her own destiny?"

"You know why," said Malinda. "She shouldn't use magic. Magic is bad and magic is wrong. No one should use magic at all."

"Is this your own opinion or is this the work of those who are ignorant?" said Headmaster Baynard snapped at her.

"The priests at Bethsaida Chapel are not ignorant!" Silas cried out in protest.

"I see," said Headmaster Baynard. "It is not those who lead your church, but your teachers who tell you these lies. People like you should never play with magic; people like you do not understand! Most problems in the world are caused by people who think they know magic, but they end up destroying everything because of their errors."

He sighed and said, "I have warned you already not to follow Janette, but you did not listen to me. Now, you two will spend the night in the dungeons and tomorrow, I will arrange for someone to come here and retrieve you. I have had far too many people trying to sneak in here, and the fact that two human children have done what the darkest of witches have failed to do makes me sick. I don't know what to do with you at all."

"If it makes you feel any better," Silas cried out, "we're not spying on her for Tyson…"

"I know who he is," said Headmaster Baynard. "He is a cruel boy who enjoys picking on others because of his own insecurities. He is one of the main reasons why I had to take Janette out of Gillamoor church and bring her here.

"Now, stand here while I make some phone calls and you better hope that your priest is merciful upon knowing what you two did."

He picked up the phone and dialed the church as Janette turned to the kids and said, "You have got to be kidding me! What is going on here? Seriously, what is going on here? You need to explain yourselves to me right now or else!"

"We just want you to come home," said Silas. Janette glared at him. "You don't belong here; you belong at Bethsaida Chapel. With us."

"I don't belong there," Janette said with a faraway look in her eye. "You saw how people reacted to me when it was revealed that I was a Spellcaster. You out of all people should know why I don't belong in the church."

"Well, we could have made Tyson apologize to you," said Malinda.

"Yeah right," said Janette. "Tyson is the type of kid who would rather do anything else but apologize to an orphan who he beat up. You saw how Brother Sidney had to twist his arm to get him to at least feel some kind of remorse for my situation. He didn't even want to do that. Plus, you didn't even come to my defense when he beat me up. You say you're my friends, but where were you when I needed you?"

"All right, Janette!" Malinda cried out. "Just calm down, please!"

"Yeah, said Silas with a hint of worry in his voice. "We both know that Tyson can be big and intimidating, but he's not the only bully that we had to deal with. You know that Allen Stone is the number one alpha leader in our school and when he found out that we were hanging out with you, he was so incensed that we would be hanging out with an orphan and especially someone like you. He ordered us to stop talking to you or face the wrath of the choker. I don't want to face the choker!"