Second Chance Chapter 1 - Second Chance?

Nick was bitten, his neck was bleeding as the blood drip down onto his shirt. His skin was getting paler and he couldn't breathe a lot because of the bite on his neck. He couldn't speak so he started to think. Where did it all go wrong?

"I wish I was like him. I wish I could just keep movin' all the time. But I'm just not... built like that."

He turns his head to look at where Luke and Sarah are, he could hear their voices but, he couldn't hear what they were saying. Luke will protect her and Clementine, he is a lot stronger than me, I can't be that strong.

"Everyone I grew up with... it all happened to them. Now, it's gonna happen to us. We're all so fucked. This world is fucked. I mean, what's the point? We'll just march to some new place and somebody else will die. It's never gonna stop. And eventually, it'll be our turn."

What he said to Clementine was right, they were all going to die, sooner or later. He was dying now, he tried to run for help, to try to be useful but, he just ended up getting bitten. His breathing, what was left of it, was almost gone. His eyes closed as he took his last breath, he was dead.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

His eyes open and he is in his bed, he put his hand on his head. His hand was on his right eye as he was looking down, thinking. What happened? Wasn't I dead? Why am I here? He stopped having these thoughts when he heard someone calling his name. Nick looked at the door, with wide eyes.

"Nick!"

No, it can't be. "Uncle Pete?"

"Nick...wake up! We have to go check the fishing traps!"

"I will be down in a minute!"

"Ok...just hurry up!"

His uncle Pete was alive so, that means everyone else is alright too. He grabbed the side of his neck with his hand. And I am not bitten. Was I given a second chance? I could save everyone, stopped their deaths from happening. He got out of his bed, he put on his shirt and pants. Nick saw that his hat was on the nightstand beside him, he grabbed it and put it on his head. He opened the door and walked out of his room. He only had one thought in his mind.

How was he going to stop Pete from dying?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nick was walking up ahead, not wanting to heard uncle Pete tell Clementine that embarrassing story. He already knew what was up ahead, a lot of bodies by the river, Carver's doing. He stopped by the river. Nick had to show this to uncle Pete and Clementine. And then, he would get them out of here.

"UNCLE PETE!"

Nick saw uncle Pete and Clementine ran up behind him.

"Nick...Jesus, Mary, and Joseph."

Uncle Pete and Clementine saw the bodies. Uncle Pete checked one of them "Fulla holes".

"Who do you think did this?"

"Not sure yet. But it ain't your average gang of thugs, that much I know."

"...Think about it. You're Carver, what do you do?"

"Who's Carver?"

Nick looked at Pete then, Clementine. After they checked some of the bodies, Nick heard Clementine "There're more out there!"

"This wasn't no rinky dink pissin' match"

"What was it then?"

"FUBAR"

"Where are you going?! We need to get the fuck outta here!"

"Gotta check the rest."

"What?! Why?!"

"Calm down and think about it, son."

Nick grabbed Pete's arm "Calm down?! We've gotta get out of here and now!"

"Nick's right, this doesn't look good."

Nick smiled at Clementine, happy that she sided with him. Nick let go of Pete's arm.

"No it doesn't look good but, they might just be inclined to tell us who did this. We gotta do this now."

Damnit, why won't he listen to me?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nick was checking a dead body but then, he heard Pete scream. "Pete!"

"I'm fine, I'm fine! Just...just lost my footing! Damnit...god-damnit."

"Shit! Lurkers!" Nick turn and shot one of the lurkers. He looked at Clementine "Clem, go help Pete!"

But, Clementine didn't listen to Nick and ran after him. She was going towards him. Nick looked at her and then, he heard Pete "NICK!"

"PETE! NO!"

"Jesus!"

Nick was going to shoot the lurkers but, he was out of ammo.

No...no damnit!

Pete was being eaten by lurkers. Nick loaded his rifle and shot the lurkers.

"Pete! No!"

Before Clementine could said anything, Nick grabbed her arm and ran into the woods.