Chapter Four: A Bleeding Tree

My breath was as deep as an ocean as I watched Gale be forced into a room with a Peacekeeper. No one said bye or even cried. My mom only stared at the ground as I walked off the stage. Why Katniss? Why did you leave me? Why now?

As a woman Peacekeeper tapped me on the shoulder, she whispered, "Sweetie, we have to take you backstage to prepare to leave, okay?" I turned around to a white helmet, white uniform, practically white blonde hair as she smiled at me solemnly.

I nodded my head as she gently lead me backstage. I staid quiet even though she asked me a bunch of questions. I couldn't handle it. When she finally left with a pity look, I cried in the pillows on the bench. Every tear was a waterfall... I couldn't- couldn't do freaking anything about them! "Stay strong" everyone said. How can I stay strong when I know I'm going to die? I know I am! My heart banged against my chest.

Looking outside the window, I saw the crowd dispatching back into their normal routines except one woman is just standing there, staring at the stage vacantly. I know this woman well; my mom must be breaking down again, rending herself useless... I miss Katniss... I miss my old mom... I miss dad... All the people I just mentioned are dead and only one of them is mentally.
"Prim?" a tiny voice comes from the doorway, forcing me to turn around. Lily attacked me with a large bear hug.

For the first time today I felt comforted. Lily was the only person who cared that I was about to be slaughtered... "Lily... I'm... I'm so scared..." I shuddered in tears, "What am I supposed to do? I'll never survive! Please... Get me out of this..."

"Prim, I'll be rooting for you. Besides, Gale is and plenty of Panem will be on your side," Lily pulled away and grabbed a macaroon from the hospitality tray.

"What do you mean?"

Lily swallowed her mouthful and then pointed outside, "Everyone feels bad for you. You can use that in the games and make peoples think you're weak, but then show them who you really are."

I furrowed my brow and the tears began to fall again, "Are you suggesting that I actually try to kill someone?"

"Do you want to survive?"

This mortified me, "Survival doesn't force me to kill!"

Lily sighed heavily, "I know that you think that, but even the people who just survive have to face someone in the end. You can listen to me, or you can't. It's your choice. My mom told me to tell you to not go down without a fight." My response was silence as I turned around and just stared out the window. Lily grabbed another macaroon and then paused at the door, "I'm rooting for you and I just -just want you to be safe."

I watched as she left, my chest hurting. I have to kill someone. I really have to do it... I'm not a killer... I wish Katniss was here, she always knows what to say... The same peace keeper walked in after Lily left and she escorted me to a train where Gale was sitting. I sat across from him and glanced outside where our district watched us from. No one cheered. No one cried. No one did anything. They all just looked numb. Maybe it's because no one cares. I stared at the back corner of the crowd and I saw Gale's family huddled and crying.

"Why... Why did you do that Gale? You have a life, a family, and so much more to protect..." I whispered.

Gale had his head in his hands, "I-I..." He stuttered with tears rolling down his cheeks. I didn't do anything for a long moment, and then I slid into the booth next to him. I put my arms around his neck and cried into his shirt. We cried together even until the train began to move. When we finally stopped we noticed two people staring at us. One had bright pink hair and appeared as if she lived in the Capitol. The other smelled like alcohol and had a sorrowful look on his face.

"Well, hello," I finally recognized her, she was Effie Trinkett,
"C-congratulations on becoming tributes."

Gale and the man both scoffed at this, "Well I'm Haymitch. I'll be your teacher for the Games."

"So you'll teach us how to kill people, then," Gale stood indignantly.

Haymitch simply picked at his ear and said, "I'll teach how to not get killed by people. Not sure we have a killer on our hands..." Haymitch looked at me poignantly. I shrunk back behind Gale.

"I'm guessing, correct me if I'm wrong, but you all know each other?" Effie asked. Gale nodded and I did too. "Well okay. Let's go over some important things! I believe I will train Primrose to become the star of the public! The reason that's important is because tributes have sponsors. Sponsors send what is needed during the games and you don't have sponsors if you can't get anyone to like you. With sweet Primrose here, we'll go ahead and work on charisma. Haymitch, you speak with Gale and go over fighting tactics."

Haymitch grabbed a bottle of wine, took a swig, and said, "Alright. Let's get to it then, shall we?" Gale walked behind Haymitch into another room while Effie staid with me.

I still had tear stains on my cheeks, "Okay my dear, is there anything you want to talk about while we have a chance?" Effie twirled a piece of my hair sympathetically.

"Well... A lot has just happened to me within a day... I thought things wouldn't get worse, but they did," I sat and pulled my knees to my chest. I began. Explaining it all to her, bit by bit.

"Why did you volunteer? Do you know Peeta Mellark? Or is it because of the girl?" Haymitch lounged on the couch with a bottle of wine hanging off his lip.

"It's the girl. Her sister... Passed away. The only thing I know is that Katniss wanted me to protect Primrose. She is fragile... She won't last long without me," I turned my attention to the door, reminiscing. My heart felt as if had been crushed. Katniss was gone and the only thing I could do was protect her sister. I shook my head and scratched my neck.

"You have to protect her, I get it. How noble of you, but here's the thing; you die she dies. You live and she lives? Not possible. One of you has to die," Haymitch let the last bit of wine drip onto his tongue.

I knew that already, "I have a plan. When it comes to just me and her, I'm... I'm going to kill myself. There's no other way."