Chapter Two: What Happened?

My heart drops as I hear a crunching sound coming from where Katniss and Gale were. I drop my hand-crafted bow taking a tiny breath to run and leap over the electric glance only giving a slight glance to the electric fence wire hooked to half-moon shaped wood. The tiny crystals barely crunch under my blue toes as I run past the Hob, past the Bread shop and to our house.

I sprint up the stairs, stripping off my coat and my torn socks. My hand move fast as I dress myself in my pajamas. Throwing my body into the bed, I tuck myself in.

Waiting in an unbearable silence, I slow my quick breathing. Even though I waited, nothing came as I expected. Katniss usually walks in around this time. She hasn't. I would pretend to be asleep- a lie- and tell her about my nightmare I had-not a lie. Then she would promise me everything will be okay an that there's no possible way for me to be reaped since its my first reaping.

Don't tell Katniss this-she'd be mad- but I-I signed up for tesserae. Don't get mad at me! Please! I did it because of my goat... It needed food and we need the money. I-I had to! We would be without a way to make money. And if Katniss knew-oh, not going to happen. She thinks I had a really good trade at the Hob- District Twelve's secret market- and so if she finds out, I don't know how she'd react. If you don't know-which I mean, you may not- signing up for tesserae means putting your name in the bowl for the reaping.

So now I know I have a reason to be afraid. If I get called, I have my name in there- Please don't get mad- eleven times. I know! It's a lot! See why I'm scared?

A small creak in my door puts me in my actress mode. I pretend to be asleep as soft fingers brush my cheek, "Primrose?"

Making a tiny mumble, I pull my knees to my chest, a normal sleeping position for me, "Primrose, it's time to get up. We have to get ready for the reaping."

I giggle , pulling the covers over my eyes. I know this would force Katniss to tickle me. Instead, pale fingers pull down the sheet revealing my mom, pale and forlorn as always. Her eyes like the sea during a storm- only hiding a small twinkle that's still there.

"Mom? Where's Katniss?" I ask as my smile fades away.

She looks at me with confused eyes, "I don't know, Prim."

I furrow my brows and hug my elbows as Mom looks down at her hands. She offers a hand to me that I solemnly take. She begins to strip off my clothes, taking a minute to take out a small blouse and a matching skirt from my small closet. She dresses me, putting on my blouse and then pulls on my skirt, buttoning up the cheap fabric. My eyes continue to wander to the door, wandering if I'd see Katniss waltz in. What if she got caught?

My mom finishes buttoning and I leap off my cot. I run through the small grey corridor, pushing against the walls as they seem to get closer, making me claustrophobic from my thoughts and the walls. My heart pounds as I throw myself outside and sprint past the Hob.

A noise stops me- it was a buzzing noise, silent, but also noticeable. I look up at the electric fence.

"No," I stare down at the forest floor where Katniss lays, clearly passed out-maybe... Dead. I gulp at the thought. "Katniss! Katniss!"

Katniss lies there, not a breath, not a movement. Tears roll down my eyes like a flood and I drop to my knees. I put my hands to my mouth in a shocked fashion.

"Prim?" a voice comes from behind me. Gale looks at me with big brown eyes. I point to Katniss and in one gaze, he falls to pieces. He looks at the ground before her.

"'Protect my sister...' Prim... Don't look at this," he reads a small printed message drawn in the ground. He pulls me close to his chest and I nuzzle my face in his comforting arms.

Gale inspects Katniss' fingers- burnt. Her hair remains in her braid but small tufts of hair puff out. I wrap my arms around Gale's waist as he pats my back and takes deep breaths.

Gale takes off his camouflage jacket-his only jacket- and drops it on Katniss, hiding her from sight. Gale gives me a sad glance, takes my hand and walks me back to my house.