Chapter Three: Reaping

Gale takes my hand, kisses it, and leads me inside my house. My mom waits there, still a frowning lurking on her lips.

"Mrs. Everdeen?" Gale says solemnly, holding my hand.

She looks at him with only a curt smile, "Yes, Gale?"

"I have some bad news for you," Gale says. Gale closes his eyes and whispers, "Katniss is dead. She got too close to the electric fence and got shocked. We saw the government take her body away..." Gale lies through his teeth. I give him a questioning glance and he shakes his head. Mom stands there, shocked and unsure of what to do. She sat there with a blank expression.

I knew she wouldn't leave this position for a month. This is how she took Dad's death...

"We have to go to the reaping nevertheless," Mom says, still staring at the floor.

"Mom, Katniss-"

She cuts me off with a gesture, "You know what the Capitol would do if they found out we didn't go... It doesn't matter any more that Katniss is dead. I'm guessing I can't tell anyone about this..."

"No. Absolutely not. The Capitol would punish us," Gale warns.

Momma scoffs Gale, "It doesn't matter what we do we will be punished-" she stops herself, "Don't tell anyone the words I spoke."

"Yes, Momma," I whisper with tears in my eyes. No one would know what really happened with Katniss.

Momma's jaw clenches as she speaks hesitantly, as if each word pained her, "Take Primrose to the Reaping and get her signed up for the Games." 'Prepare the pig for slaughter,' she says under her breath.

My braid falls over my shoulders as Gale grabs my hand firmly. Squeezing it tightly and comfortingly, he leads me outside to the main plaza of District Twelve where hundredds, maybe thousands of people tap their feet to the nervous beating of their hearts. The thought I am not the only one going through the Reaping somehow comforts me, but like ice cold water, I am awakened from the hope by remembering the Tesserae.

 "Okay, Prim, you have to go over to that booth over there and they'll take a blood sample and a copy of your signature, okay? I can't come with you, I'll be on the men's side. May the odds ever be in your favor," Gale says with a quivering lip. After recieving a large bear hug from Gale, I take the death march to the Accounting stand. My heart bangs against my ribs as if knowing what I'm about to face...

After what seemed a millenium, I finally get to the front of the line. The lady plasters a smile to her lips and asks for my hand. I look away as she pricks my finger and squeezes out a half a pint of blood. Who knew someone could get so much blood from a prick. My mouth sucks on my wounded thumb as I sign the paper hesitantly. Shakily, my hand puts the pen down and a deep breath fills my lungs. The sky darkened as if in mourning for someone who hasn't died yet. I've known for a long time this day would come and the odds would not be in my favor as Mrs. Trinkett wished. I slowly walk to one of my friends who greets me with a frown.

Despite the Hunger Games' nature of being a celebration, no one celebrated it in District Twelve. We see behind the darkness. We see behind the "glory". That glory is not dying. Does such a glory need to be bestowed? I don't die everyday, but I'm not honored for that.

"Ladies and Gentlemen! May I have your attention! Welcome to the seventy-fourth Hunger Games!" Mrs. Trinkett squeals excitedly. I suppose her excitement makes up for the lack in us. Effie remains as undignified as always. She holds her shoulders back and smiles as if every day is a sunny day. Despitd the fact every person in District Twelve shoots daggars from their eyes at her, she continues her giddy expression. Lily, my friend grabs my hand and tries to comfort me.

"Our names are only in there once! It's like a one in a million chance, Prim! Don't worry about it!" she smiles, seemingly happy. I could see through her disguise. She felt it, too; the undeniable knowledge that I would be picked. She's the only one who actually knows that I illegally put my name in the bowl for Tesserae. Because it was illegal, I had to put my name in there two more times than the normal person; which accounts for the numerous amount of times my name is in there...

They show that damn video every time. District thirteen, the Dead land. A reporter walks around the area and explains that the government is trying to prevent this. Because of what they did, we all have to suffer. After a brief commentary from President Snow, the bowls come out of the trap doors of the stage to add dramatic effect.

"One lucky girl and one lucky man will be selected to be the tributes of District Twelve! As always, ladies first!" Mrs. Trinkett pulls down her tight, magenta pencil skirt and shuffles over to the bowl. As if having fun with our torture, Mrs. Trinkett waves her hand around the bowl and thenplunges her hand into the bowl. She pulls out a tiny slip of paper, and I watch intently as she slowly unfolds the scrap, successfully having every individual in District Twelve on the edge of their seat. "Primrose Everdeen!"

A collective gaps comes from the whole entire District. It was rare for a twelve year old to be selected. With tears streaming down my face, I slowly march up the steps. At least Katniss won't have to witness my death...

My eyes catch Gale's who gazes with bewilderment at me. Mrs. Trinkett takes my hands and pulls me under her arm as I shudder with my tears, "Let's applaud our female tribute!" Mrs. Trinkett alone begins to clap, but her clapping fades away as every person in District Twelve puts three fingers to their mouth and point towards me; a symbol of respect to a dead man. I bite my lip and force tears to pull back. Shakily, I copy their actions. I couldn't deny my potential death and no one else could either.

PeaceKeepers begin to walk towards the crowd and, at this, all their arms fall to their sides, "As for our male tribute..." she copies her action with the men's bowl and plunges her hand into the scraps of paper, "Pita Melmark!" A chubby, blonde haired man, maybe Katniss' age looks around at everyone in the audience and slowly walks up to the stage. I look at Gale and see him mouthing something, but what is it?

My head involuntarily shakes as I interpret his mouthing, 'Protect my sister.'

Gale looks up conifdently and shouts at the top of his lungs, "I VOLUNTEER AS TRIBUTE!"

Every head turns to him including my violently shaking one, "Gale NO!" I squeal.

Mrs. Trinkett smiles energetically, "It seems as if we have a Volunteer! Very good, come up here, boy and exclaim your name!"

The boy named 'Pita' holds his chest and hyperventilates down the stairs, throwing himself at Gale in thanks, but Gale throws him off, "This isn't for you, Bread boy." He hoves the boy who shakily walks away.

Mrs. Trinkett grabs his hand and faces him to the crowd as if showing off a prize"Your name is...?"

"Gale," he states nonchalantly.

A giggle escapes Mrs. Trinkett's lips, "and a last name?"

"Gale go-to-hell. That's my full name," a Peacekeeper begins to get closer to Gale defensively. At this cold greeting, Mrs. Trinkett, pats his shoulder and backs off.

Mrs. Trinkett raises both of our hands as if to humiliate us further, "Give it up for Gale and Primrose, our District Twelve Tributes!"