Chapter 3

I woke with a little jump. Looking round in the dark, I checked my watch. Half past seven. I must have dozed off. It's been a very busy day. My tummy rumbled and no wonder I haven't eaten since breakfast this morning. I walked into the kitchen, opening the fridge I came to the conclusion I cant be bothered to cook. Maybe the pub will be serving food. I pulled my long brown hair back into a pony tail and grab my coat. Pulling the zipper right up to my chin I shivered in the chilly evening air, taking a look round the garden I shut and lock the front door behind me.

The Three Feathers stood to the left of the green with the village shop and post office. On the opposite side of the green was the church, a stunning building with its steeple and stain glass windows. As I looked around the village green I noticed a few more cottages and the Manse by the church. I hope the minister is nice it would be good to have a friend to talk to.

Turning the collor of my coat up I made my way over to the pub taking a deep breath I pushed the door. The heat hit me like a brick was I walked into the room.

I made my way to the bar and took a seat on the stool there. The bar man was in his fifties. A tall man with a round face and potted belly. He wiped his hands on a cloth as he turned to look at me.

I'm sure I seen him flinch but he tried to hide it well. 

'Are you serving food' I ask hopefully.

'I'm sure we can find you something' he replied with a smile 'we don't have a menu in here we make dinner every evening and it's just what we get from the garden.'

I grinned 'the garden! You grow you own vegetables?'

'And we have chickens for eggs. As well as the cows up the back field. Make great cream they do.' He offered 'now what can I get you?'

I ordered a dinner and a glass of lemonade. Paying for everything I lifted my drink from the bar and turned to look for a seat. 

I made my way to the corner seat so I could see the rest of the customers easier. I love to people watch. They interest me. I like to guess what they do for a living and what type of partner they have. I looked around the room at the few people that are here.

The old man at the end of the bar nodded sleepy into to his beer. His flat cap sitting on the counter beside his drink. His white hair slicked back he wore a shirt opened and the neck.

There was an other couple of middle aged men in the oposite corrner, talking rather loudly about the up coming cricket match between them and another village in the league.

The only other person in the bar was sitting at the table in front of the open fire, behind a newspaper. A pair of dress trousers and well polished shoes stuck out the bottom of the paper but his face was covered.

I was intrigued. Who was it? Why was someone so well dressed sat in the village pub. We were at least an hour and a halfs drive form the city. Surely he would be better placed in London.

I heard a small cough. Jerking up I realised I'd been staring at the man behind the paper.

In front of me stood a short women.

'Dinner love' she said 'you must be hungry after all that unpacking you did today'

I looked at her stunned 'I seen the removal van earlier'

'Oh' I said 'yeah I just moved in can't be bothered to cook'

'The village store holds most things but we have a bus comes through once a week that goes to the supermarket.'

'Thanks that's good to know'

'I'm Janet' she offered 'my husband Jerry is the bar man.'

'My names Kate' I answered

'Well Kate eat your food while it's hot and if you need to know anything about the place just ask.'

I watched Janet move away from my table lifting empty glasses on her way. I looked at the plate chicken pie and mash potato with carrots and peas all home made. I dug in like someone who hadn't seen food for sometime.

When I looked up again the news paper was folded up on the table and the man had gone.

My heart sank. Now when did that happen.

I stood up reluctandly, I was warm and cosy and wasn't really sure I wanted to walk home in the cold.

Saying thank you and goodbye to Janet with the promise of returning tomorrow. I pulled my coat back on and made my way home.

Making sure the cottage was secure I went to bed, but sleep never came. 

All I could think of where the shiny shoes and the news paper.