chapter 10

I splashed cold water over my face as Joe poured hot water into the tea pot. We chattered easily about daily life and my job as we set about getting cups and milk for the tray. He lifted the full tray and look at me.

"The living room?" I asked in answer to his unspoken question.

"Sounds good to me." He nodded and followed me to the sofa.

I poured the tea and offered him milk and sugar. Sitting down on the chair by the unlit fire I turned to face him.

"You said we needed to talk. I have a few questions I would like answers to as well. How should we do this?" I tilted my head as I asked.

"She did that too you know." He smiled. "Your like her in so many ways. When I saw you that morning in the shop I thought I was seeing things." He shook his head as if he was trying to clear the image from his mind. "I'm sure that doesn't answer any of your questions. How about you ask and if I can I'll answer them"

Relief washed over me. He was keeping to his word. He was going to answer my queries.

My mind swam round and round where do I start, what do I want to know first?

Looking at me he nodded "just ask the first thing in your head and we'll go from there"

It was like he understood.

I sat still for a moment and then.

"How did you know my Aunt" I blurted out.

"Like I said. I kept her garden. She worked so hard up in the house. From early morning to late evening some days. The garden was starting to look a little ragged. I offered to look after her roses to help my out in my studies." He paused looking out the window again.

"They mean a lot to you don't they." I surmised

"I planted quite a few of them bushes and tended them like a mother does a child. I know every inch of this garden and could name it all"

"Joe" I whispered.

He turned and looked at me his eyes watery with tears

"Who is Jonathan?" The question was bearly audible.

His eyes dropped to the floor and then back up to meet mine.

"He was my elder brother."