Chapter 32

Chapter 32 (Erik's POV)

It was the first wedding that I had ever witnessed outside of what I read in books. It was my own son's, and it was perfect.

I don't really know how, but Elaina somehow convinced him not to wear the mask, but it relieved me immensely. I know it sounds rather selfish, but I didn't own a lot of mirrors for a reason, and seeing him with the mask was almost like looking into one.

His bride was just as beautiful as the way brides described in novels. Her hair was curled, and her lips were painted red. Erin had made her a dress to suit her figure, and she looked wonderful.

A tear slipped down my cheek as I silently wondered what Christine looked like on her wedding day. I tried my best to concentrate on my boy and push the thoughts aside, but it didn't seem to happen. The more I tried to put my mind at rest, the more it buzzed.

I turned my attention to little details in the room. The children ooed and ahhed over Elaina, and the older women in her family wept gently. Just about all of Elaina's family's side of the church was full, but there were only six people on Gustave's – myself, Gangle, Fleck, Squelch, Meg, and his best man, Lee.

As they sealed their lifelong commitment with a kiss, I must admit that I shed a tear for the both of them. It seemed such a short time ago that he had come home blushing about a little girl that he had met.

To my surprise, Meg looked up at me. "Are you alright, Erik?"

I nodded and dried my eyes. "Oh, yes, I'm fine."

"He's going to be happy now," she said, "I mean, not that he wasn't before, but now he can be... complete."

I don't know why, but I found myself confiding in Meg. Perhaps it was because I didn't know her, or perhaps it was some sort of closure for me.

"I just didn't have enough time with him."

"You still have time, Erik," she said gently, "but now you also have time to spend with your new daughter and soon-to-be grandbaby."

I shook my head. "I never thought I would have a lover. To top it off, I have a son, and I'm going to be a grandfather."

She sighed. "Did you ever read her journal?"

I nodded. "It's a comfort, but it also saddens me. She inspired me to start writing one of my own though."

"You're keeping a journal?"

I shrugged. "It might be something my son would like to have one day when I'm... when I'm..."

"Gone," she finished.

I nodded.

She sighed. "I know you like to pretend, but you can't live forever, Erik. One day, the inevitable will happen rather you like it or not. The point in question is, are you going to go with dignity or go wondering why you're not invincible?"

"You know, you have grown wise with age, little Giry," I said.

She nudged my arm. "No one ever said I was dumb. I just liked to act it sometimes."

I smiled and shook my head. Gustave led Elaina back down the aisle as we all followed. The wedding being of such short notice, the couple decided to avoid having a reception nor did they want gifts, but I couldn't help but do at least a little something for them.

I stopped them as they were about half way to the car that would take them home.

Gustave turned around. "Yes, Papa?"

I placed a small envelope in his hand.

He sighed and tried to give it back to me. "Papa, we said no gifts."

I shoved it back towards him. "Well then, it's not for you. It's for the baby, but it might make your lives easier if you just take it."

He smirked. "You're just a stubborn old man you know that?"

I shrugged. "I always have been. I always will be." I ruffled his hair one last time before he climbed in the car beside Elaina, and they drove off. I sighed to myself as I watched them. What would become of them, I didn't know, but something inside of me made my spirit warm. It was happiness. As rare of a feeling as it was, I recognized it immediately. It was a feeling I first felt with Christine. Then, it became a normal circumstance as I raised Gustave. I'm not sure he'll ever understand just how much we both loved him. For the first ten years, he was a piece of me, and now he's a piece of her. As sad as it is to say that he went through both halves of his life with either one parent or the other, he brought so much joy, and in that moment, I got to watch him go to live his own life in his own happiness.