Chapter 6 (Erik's POV)

Chapter 6: Erik's POV

The next morning, or rather afternoon since Gustave and I slept in, I got up and fixed Gustave and myself breakfast. I normally did not eat in the mornings, but for some reason I woke up starved.

I set the breakfast down in front of Gustave and sat across the table from him. Immediately I saw in his eyes what he wanted. Before I had even taken the first bite, I started telling the story in full depth to Gustave.

"It began when I heard your mother sing." I had Gustave's full attention with his eyes sparkling. "When I was about your age, my mother sent me away to be a side show act for a circus."

"You mean like Miss Fleck, Mr. Squelch, and Dr. Gangle?" he asked.

"Well, yes, I suppose so, but I was not treated how they are. I was not free to leave my show as I pleased nor was I paid to be on display. I was kept in a cage with nothing but some paper and a chair to keep me occupied."

"That's unfair. You aren't a monster."

"Indeed, my Gustave, but that is what they saw me as. One night, when they let me out of the cage for supper, I found a piano in the booth where the orchestra played during shows. When the ring leader heard me play, he decided to supply me with a piano in my cell to attract more customers. I had nothing to do but write music. At first, it wasn't anything spectacular in my opinion, but while we were in Paris, I caught the attention of a choreographer from the Paris opera house."

"Madame Giry?"

"Yes, Madame Giry. She helped me escape the circus. By this time, I was about seventeen. She told me took me to the owner of the Opera Populaire, but he was so distraught by my appearance, he did not want me in his theatre. Of course, Madame Giry did not want to send me back, so she hid me under the basement in the catacombs of the opera house. Within time I acquired a piano and a bed. I built myself a boat out of some left plywood from an old set that was left, and I sewed pillows and fine clothes out of old costumes. I had to fend mostly for myself, Gustave, but eventually, even I get tired of the dark. I dared to explore upstairs where I found various hidden passages that people did not seem to know about.

"Now at first there was a beautiful leading soprano, but there was something about her that did not capture my heart, but for two long years, I still came and hid behind her dressing room mirror to hear her sing as she got ready. One night, a ballet girl was arranging roses in the soprano's dressing room and singing an aria. She had what the leading soprano didn't. To this day, Gustave, I cannot tell you what that quality is, but this ballet girl had whatever it was." My eyes filled with tears. I was only twenty years, but I remembered it so vividly.

I continued trying to keep my voice from breaking, "As Madame Giry's daughter got older, she came down to the cellar to bring me a weekly basket of food. I asked Miss Giry what the girl's name was. She said to me, 'That is Christine Daae. Her father used to be a violinist here, but sadly he passed away as her mother did when she was too little to remember. Now she dances for my mother.' With that Miss Giry left, and I remember saying your mother's name to myself over and over again."

Gustave giggled slightly. I smiled back at him, "Do you think that is funny, Gustave?"

He smiled big, "Yes. I imagine you saying her name over and over like a crazy man."

"Well, Gustave, that's what I was alright. I was crazy in love. I composed a beautiful song for her, and I went to her room in the opera house and hid behind the cracked door. I sang her my song, and she started to sing back to me. I had her repeat certain phrases to make her sound better. I guess she heard where the sound was coming from. She tore the door open, but she found nothing. Before she could see me, I jumped out the window and clung to the ladder that went up to the roof. Gustave, your father isn't much, but he is quick."