Chapter 31

Chapter 31 (Gustave's POV)

Tomorrow. We were getting married tomorrow. It didn't seem real.

Of course, it wasn't without Elaina's father's blessing. He was more than willing to give his blessing when he found out that she was pregnant. He was angry, and I was humiliated. Still, he told us to get married as soon as possible so Elaina's mother wouldn't practically have a heart attack when the child came along.

Her father insisted on meeting mine, and although I told him that it was a terrible idea, he continued insisting that I wasn't a gentleman fit to marry his daughter.

The day before the wedding had come, and I couldn't stand it anymore. I walked Elaina's father out to the beach to meet Papa. He was sitting in the sand where we used to go when I was a small boy. For an entire month, he had been taking Erin there almost every day. I think they liked each other's company, and I was quite fond of her. She made Elaina's costumes, and she had an eye for color. She could be a bit sarcastic, but who was I to judge that? I was sarcastic too.

"Papa?" I asked from behind him as he sat laughing with Erin.

He turned and suddenly grew serious as he spotted the short, round man at my side. He stood and eyed Elaina's dad. "Yes?"

I cleared my throat. "Uhh... this is Elaina's dad. He wanted to meet you."

Papa raised an eyebrow and offered to shake his hand. "I'm Mr. Y."

He nodded and shook Papa's hand. "I'm Mr. Marion. How do you do?"

They carried on a quick conversation as I stood awkwardly looking on. Erin sat giggling at my expressions as I watched them back and forth. It was actually quite comedic. My father was a tower compared to Mr. Marion. He was tall and thin as opposed to Elaina's father who was short and a rather pudgy man. My father's full head of gray hair looked distinguished compared to Mr. Marion's shiny bald one.

"Let's cut to the chase," Mr. Marion said. "I'm a man of business, and so are you. I don't find your son fit to marry my daughter."

Papa straightened his back to make himself even taller. "I beg your pardon?"

"I'm sure you've raised Gustave to be quite the man, but my Elaina doesn't need a man per say so much as someone gentle that will take care of her. I know this puts us all in a tricky situation with my daughter expecting and all, but I'm sure we can work it all out where both Elaina and Gustave are happy."

Papa folded his arms. "Did something give you the impression that they weren't happy?"

"I'm just trying to do what's best for my daughter," he said.

Papa nodded. "I understand."

I looked at him in shock. If he let Mr. Marion push me away from my soon-to-be wife and child, I thought I might bust.

He continued. "But here's the problem, Mr. Marion, have you asked your daughter what's best for her?"

Elaina's father began stumbling over his words. "W-well you see, E-Elaina's m-mother and I thought that it would be best for her to come home with us tonight. We can call off the wedding, and when the child comes along, well, we know a nice couple in North Carolina th-that was never able to h-have children and..."

Papa cut him off with his hand. He turned his attention to Erin. "Erin, would you like it if I told you who you could and couldn't marry?"

She shook her head.

"Well, this is different," Mr. Marion said. "This is my daughter."

"And this is my daughter," Papa replied. "And Gustave is my son, and I don't appreciate men coming here and telling me that I have not raised them with the utmost care and dignity. You see, Mr. Marion," Papa said menacingly walking towards him, "I'm a very prideful man, and I take pride in my children. I don't tolerate disrespect, and I most certainly don't tolerate it on my own property."