27 - The Twins

Hah, hah, *awkwardly reaches to scratch shoulder blade.* Sorry guys... It's been like a month? *throws hands up for face protection* Just calm down, read it up, and drink some tea okay?

-----------------------------

It had been slightly less than a week when all of the deceased had been burried, the injured placed back in their homes, and all of the soldiers had returned back to Palladia. Almost everyone living had lost a family member or friend in the battle at Wraithmarsh.

I had guards stationed around the perimeter of Acantha wood, and on the other borders in case of an attack. Men and women were sluggish in stature, even though we had won this small battle. We are always ready for an attack, but spirits are still low. 

Now in this mess I hadn't forgotten my dear friend Deliah. As soon as I had people to take over Gwyn's as well as the other leader's positions, a small crew and I made way to the Hataed Mountains. A day's rest, and a steep climb up the mountains followed the battle. It was only half a days journey to reach the bottom on the mountains by flying. If it were possible, we would have tried to open portals to make travel quicker, but there is ancient magic that somehow prevents it.

Gwyn, Ren, and two other escorts from Gwyn's division accompanied me on the journey. Because of the ancient dark magic that hung over the land, our magic grew weak beyond useage. I had barely begun to rely on it, so it was easy for me to get used to not using it. For my four escorts, it was near impossible.

The second half of the first day climbing, the dark was becoming too ominous to see. We all decided that resting for the night would be a good idea. There was only one slender craggy path that sloped up in every direction through the mountains. As soon as a large enough cave for five was located, we took refuge. 

Steady mist turned into light showers when we entered the cool dry cave. Our clothes were damp, so Gwyn begun to gather what ever dry brush and wood he could find outside that had fallen from trees above before the rain poured on harder. Making myself useful, I collected stones and made a firepit to put the wood in.

 Ren was quiet the entire trip. He kept to himself, and pulled out provisions. 

My other two escorts, Arlyss and Avalbane, set up sleeping positions for the five of us. They are twin brothers around the age of twenty-three who have practically grown up alongside Gwyn. He suggested them as additional bodyguards for me, knowing them to be hardworking and trustworthy. 

Peeling off my raven colored cloak, I breathe in the smell of the cave. Each movement echos in the ceiling, causing me to shiver. The atmosphere is sort of unsettling and creepy, but I remind myself that not only is it mind over matter to stay here, but I also have four incredibly capable and strong men by my side.

Avalbane pulls out a deerskin pelt from his pack and hands it to me. His kind grey eyes twinkle at me in the dim light. I placed a hand on his and thanked him. He and his wife back home are expecting their second child. Somehow he manages to keep his wits and focus on our mission even though he might miss the birth. 

Arlyss has a wife waiting for him back home too. He also keeps composure quite easily, although he is the chattier one of the two. Gwyn and the twins have talked most of the way here, while Ren and I stay silent. Internally, I know he is poisoning himself with worry for his beloved Deliah. So badly I want to reach out to him and tell him that everything will be okay, but I won't because I know he wants to be left alone.

Wrapping the deerskin around me tightly, I glance at the entrance of the cave to see the sillhouette of Gwyn with a bundle in his arms, dark brown curls plastered to his head from the rain. He carefully places the wood that stayed dry under his shirt into the firepit. "Erif." he mutters. A slap on the forehead follows as he realizes that we cannot use our magic.