1 - When Normal Meets Downright Strange.

Author's note:

HELLO MY LOVELIES! Welcome to Secrets of the Trees! Just a quick side note before you read:

This is SUPPOSED to go fast in the beginning. A lot of readers only read my first freaking chapter, and don't give this a real shot, and say "Oh, it was good, just too fast..." but that's how I wanted it to be. And there are some grammatical errors, yes, I wrote the first 6 chapters a while back so I'm skimming through to fix it. Anyway, ENJOY!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was bathed in golden sunlight. There was a slight breeze; nature was going about its business, a perfect day right? Wrong. Just as I turned the page of my book while lying on the grass of my backyard, a great shadow crept up from behind, blocking my sunshine. Of course, living a normal life like any teenager, I expected my younger brother was going to throw water balloons at me or some other form of purposeful annoyance. Being in a decent mood I didn’t jump in alarm until I actually saw what was shading my patch of grass. As I was sitting up I told the person (or person so I thought),

“Will you please move because I’m reading my book and-” I froze. Looming above me was this large being, garbed in this full body hooded cloak that had a deep blue hue and stood above me by maybe three or so feet. The face beneath was concealed except for these otherworldly eyes peering at me, as if it could bore through my soul and discover my secrets. I shivered with fear.

It cocked its head to the side as if trying to figure me out. Then abruptly it turned and behind the creature was a gust of air, and then appeared a vortex swirling hundreds of miles an hour at, at least twelve feet high, whipping my espresso-brown hair around like a hurricane. The “thing” as I decided to name it, stepped forward a yard and disappeared into the inky swirl. With another gust of wind, the vortex vanished.

Now, we all have weird days… But I’d say this is not just a weird day, it was utterly bizarre. I stood up befuddled, thinking about all of the possible explanations of what had just occurred as I walked into my house. Nothing came to mind. No explanations, no theories, nothing. I sat on my bed for maybe thirty minutes and decided to call my friend Marjorie.

“…Hello?”

“Hey Marj, it’s Lily.”

“Oh hey. What’s up?”

“Would you like to go see a movie tonight?” I was desperate to get my mind off of my concern but decided if I told someone they’d think I was crazy so I refrained from doing that.

“I’ll ask my mom, hold on a sec.” There was a steady hum of voices in the phone as Marjorie and her mom discussed tonight. “She said it’s alright as long as I’m home by 10:00.”

“Great, my mom can take us there in an hour, see you then.”

“Okay, see you soon.” We said goodbye and ended the call.

One hour later my mom had picked up Marjorie and took us to the theater. My mom handed me thirty dollars and dropped us off at the front entrance.

“Thanks mom.”

“Yeah, thanks Mrs. Walsh,” added Marjorie.

“Anytime. Have fun girls!” with that said, she drove away.

We bought two tickets to see a newly released comedy movie, a large box of popcorn, two bottles of water, and a bag of sour gummy worms. The whole movie I tried to focus on the jokes and crazy antics of one character, but the more I tried to forget today, the harder it became.