23 - Tut Tut, It Looks Like More Rubble Rain

Lily's POV:

Rubble was raining down on every inch of this place, covering Cedany and I in tan dust. We held hands through the bars, in an effort to find comfort. In an instant, the booming stopped. Rubble ceased to hail upon us. We laughed half in relief, half because of hysteria. Instead we heard a pounding sound. Could it be feet?

It must have been hours passing by as Cedany and I sat back to back against the cool fluorescent bars. Neither of us uttered a word. We were deprived of any decent sleep and food as well. My water cup was dry, and no sign of life came down to the dungeon where we literally rotted. Cedany had a few sips in her cup, so we tried to preserve it best we could as half a day went on.

I clutched at my stomach, and moaned in misery for lack of nutrition. In just a few days my already skinny figure grew bony. Hair matted, nails filthy, clothes stale. Never had I suffered such as I am now. In the modern America, their prisons seem wonderful compared to here. I would rather be anywhere but here... Anywhere...

Eventually we began to get used to the sounds of infrequent stomping and vibrations. My mind was on vacation in the Caribbean, my body stuck in a sleepless hell. The night was increasingly colder, and I shivered harder than any other night in the dungeon. Damp hay did not suffice in any way. Cedany and I relied on eachothers backs through the bars to keep semi warm at night.

 At long last, I begun to doze off a few times, my head drooping. I was in between sleep and reality, where even little noises sound amplified: the scurrying of rats, and Cedany's coughing. As I felt myself really drifting away, I heard another pounding noise, though, not as loud as hours prior. It sounded louder by the second. I felt Cedany get up from leaning on me. This caused me to then rub my heavy eyes and look as well.

"Are you sure they are down here? The stairs do not seem to end!" shouted a deep voice. My fatigue was instantly washed away as the two of us instantly recognized that the voice belonged to a Kloftcesni. Simultaneously Cedany and I begun shouting, 'We are here! Help!'

The footsteps got faster, and he was shouting up that he could hear us. In the dim lamp light, we saw a tall sillouhette of a Kloftcesni hit the bottom step. I actually begun to cry with happiness, my chest heaving. He ran over to our cells, standing between them. His dark brown hair was drenched with sweat, and he was in full armor that was encrusted in blood.

Laughing breathlessly, he said, "I cannot believe I found you. I need to get reinforcements to help you two out. These bars-"

"Are made of brosba, yes, we know." cut in Cedany.

He ignored her rude comment, and continued on. "Yes, well, I will be back in a few minutes to figure out the best way to, to unlock these bars. I need collaboration because, sorry to say, I have not a clue how to do this. I am just a farmer, recruited for the revolt. My name is Gwyn. Right, sorry, I should get you out of here as fast as possible, there is so much to be done!"

"Wait!" shouted Cedany. "Try the locks."

Gywn turned around. "Excuse me?"

Rolling her eyes she persisted, "Can you not just channel energy into the hole in the locks? It does not seem to be made of brosba."

Gywn's grey transparent wings slanted down in thought. "I can try, I suppose." First he cracked his knuckles, and then his neck. He started mumbling some sort of spell that I could not really hear. In seconds Cedany's lock bursted into thousands of pieces like shattering glass. "Hm! Copper. Well lets try the next one."

Cedany opened the door and threw her arms up in liberation. My lock now shattered as well, and we followed Gwyn up the iron staircase.

"Thank you so much for finding us. I thought we would die down here. I have not eaten since," my stomach rumbled loud enough for anyone to hear "You can tell it has been a while."